2 Replies Latest reply on Aug 31, 2006 12:16 PM by aguizar

BPEL a graph based execution language ? Where is the graph ?

Hi everyone,

I am new to BPM and JBPM... And we want to integrate a BPM solution on our platform and JBoss seems the most suitable.... I read about all the documentation provided by this web site on the subject and I have one simple question about the BPEL extension: Where is the graph representation of the business process ?
      I am probably missing something here and that's why I am asking for your help...
      The purpose of the BPEL extension is to use BPEL on top of what is called the Graph oriented Programming.is that right ? Now the question is where is the graph representation of the business process ? I follow the examples provided with the BPEL extension packages but I don't see any graph representation of the business process.
      Then if there is no graph what's the point of being on top of the GOP ?
      Please tell me what I am missing here ?

Thank you!

Arnaud.

• 1. Re: BPEL a graph based execution language ? Where is the gra

Hi again,

Good news!!! I've just found this: http://www.eclipse.org/bpel/: A designer tool for the BPEL...
          Which is an answer to my previous post.
          I am surprised that is not mentionned anywhere in the JBPM doc. Probably, just a question of time! I think some link to this should be added in the JBPM documentation. At least in the BPEL extension documentation or in the GDP doc.

And thanks for the work!!!

Arnaud.

• 2. Re: BPEL a graph based execution language ? Where is the gra
            aguizar

Arnaud,

I think there is a small term confusion: graph representation != graphical representation. Graphs are mathematical structures. Structured activities in BPEL (sequence, if, while, flow, pick, etc.) are "unfolded" by the jBPM BPEL parser into nodes, transitions and links. Graphs have a graphical representation, but the math concept is a separate thing.

My apologies if I am saying something you already knew.

Regarding the Eclipse designer, as a matter of fact, we are in touch with the developers behind that initiative and are working on an implementation of their runtime framework for jBPM BPEL. That might take a while as the runtime framework is not even there, but, as you say, this is a question of time.

I will link to it from the documentation so that our fine users are aware there is an open source designer on the works.

Thanks for your suggestions.