9 Replies Latest reply on Jun 13, 2007 11:04 AM by cahimoped

Stupid timezone problem...

cahimoped

Hi,

I'm in GMT+1 on my system and the webconsole shows me GMT-1 hours : if I launch a process at 10, it displays that I start it at 8. When I schedule a task for the 15th of June the due date indicated in the console is the 14th of June 10:00PM... etc.

If I change my system timezone to GMT-1 I got the same hours in my pc and in the console. If I change to GMT+4 I got 5 hours of difference... etc. So I think there is a timezone set to GMT-1 somewhere... but ... where?

I searched in jBoss but it seems like it uses system time... I searched in jBPM and the webconsole but didn't find any clue...

I feel kind of newbee now :/

Do you know how to change that?

• 1. Re: Stupid timezone problem...
          cahimoped

More info : the time in jBoss is correct. My user.timezone is correct.

• 2. Re: Stupid timezone problem...
            kukeltje

put timezone attributes on your date elements or converters. JSF is afaik accoording to the spec supposed to show it in Zulu time.

• 3. Re: Stupid timezone problem...
              cahimoped

The more I search the less the problem appears to be stupid and the more it looks like a possible bug.

I'm in GMT+1 but currently in "summer time" so it explains the 2 hours difference with GMT.

Now I will take an example :
              - I launch a process at 14:00 with my system in "GMT+1 summer time"
              - I launch a second process at 12:00 with my system at GMT

I got in the console :
              with my system in GMT+1 : 12:00 12:00
              with my system in GMT : 14:00 12:00

What I want is the exact contrary : I want the 14 to be 12 in GMT (cause it was launch at 14 GMT+1/12GMT) and the two 12 in GMT+1 to be 14...

I don't know how date are stored in DB but from what I see there might be a problem.

And I just found many "f:convertDateTime" in the admin-console/web-console so it might be a unmentionned setting to set or a bug in the admin-console/web-console...

I'll investigate... but if you have answers...

• 4. Re: Stupid timezone problem...

The one-hour difference from UTC/GMT/Zulu could be due to a daylight savings time confusion somewhere.

• 5. Re: Stupid timezone problem...
                  cahimoped

Thanks kukeltje... you answered while I was typing.

This choice is very strange... the new admin-console is unusable without editing lots of jsf date tags... sounds like a serious problem to me.

• 6. Re: Stupid timezone problem...
                    kukeltje

That is why afaik, seam works around this limitation. Could you check if my assumption is correct? If so, we have to add a timezone attribute to each relevant jsf tag and read the timezone from some property via an EL

• 7. Re: Stupid timezone problem...
                      dmlloyd

Hello cahimoped,

Yes, we are using the default JSF timezone conversion, which should be displaying GMT+0. You should be aware that there have been a lot of timezone updates put out by Sun (and, presumably, other JVM vendors) in the past year due to various recent political changes. Make sure that your JVM is updated with the latest timezone files. You can find more information about this from Sun's website.

As far as configuring the displayed timezone, please go to JIRA at http://jira.jboss.com/jira/browse/JBPM and open a feature request for the web console. We'll have to evaluate possible solutions for reading the time zone from the client, but I think that this should not be too hard to do.

• 8. Re: Stupid timezone problem...
                        kukeltje

@cahimoped

Serious problem? nooooooo.... third world hunger is a serious problem. George Bush is a serious problem... changing some date converter tags isn't, certainly not in eclipse (ever tried the regexp search and replace over multiple files?)

• 9. Re: Stupid timezone problem...
                          cahimoped

kukeltje> Ok... ok... sounds like a serious problem IN THE CONSOLE ;-)

david> JIRA request done.