3 Replies Latest reply on Oct 3, 2007 10:03 AM by kukeltje

[JBPM 3.2.1] Updating Deployed Version of Process

dleerob

Hi,

When deploying, for example, the websale process definition, along with all it's files:

forms.xml, form.create.xhtml, form.fix.xhtml etc...

It will initially deploy the process as "version 1". If users now start this process, and you then realise there is a problem with the websale process, and you need to change one of the forms, lets say "form.fix.xhtml". You then deploy the changes, which will create a "version 2" of the process. The current processes in action will still be using "version 1" files etc, as expected, and any NEW process instances will use the "version 2" files. My question is: what if I need to make changes to the original "version 1" files? Perhaps there is an error which doesn't allow users to go any further in the flow, and you need to make a change to the current version files. How would one do that?

If anyone has some ideas, or knows how this is done, I would appreciate it.

• 1. Re: [JBPM 3.2.1] Updating Deployed Version of Process
          kukeltje

this has been discussed in the forum several times... it is not that easy if the process changes. There is also a jira issue for this. So look there to

• 2. Re: [JBPM 3.2.1] Updating Deployed Version of Process
            dleerob

Okay, I've searched the forums and I am watching the Jira issue.

I was wondering, is there a way to update a file in the database using the API's? So, if I have "myForm.jsp" which was deployed with a process definition, and I want to fix a spelling mistake on that form, and not create an entire new deployed version, is there a way to directly update JUST that file? So all current instances will see that updated "myForm.jsp" page, thereby fixing the spelling mistake on all current processes.

I was thinking that if this is possible, I can simply pass a parameter from my eclipse GPD when deploying the updated process, eg. "/jbpm-console/upload?updateFiles=Yes". I can then create my own servlet, based on the ProcessUploadServlet, and check for this parameter. If it exists, I can then use the API's to only update the files in the database for that process definition, instead of deploying the process definition.

Anyone tried something like this or know if it can be done?

• 3. Re: [JBPM 3.2.1] Updating Deployed Version of Process
              kukeltje

no, there is no such functionality. At least not for the jbpm web console and the core. But you can ofcourse split the process and the webapp e.g. by using seam, and achieve this functionality