4 Replies Latest reply on Oct 11, 2007 10:18 AM by ruhl22

JBPM-BPEL process monitoring - engine API

ruhl22

Hello.

I have to develop a monitoring application (similar to the one IBM provides for its BPEL engine) for BPEL processes deployed on the JBPM-BPEL engine.

Regarding this issue, I have read the following thread:
      http://www.jboss.com/index.html?module=bb&op=viewtopic&p=4029585#4029585

My question is: how can I access the BPEL engine and query/inspect the deployed processes? Is there any engine API that I can use (e.g. a stateless session bean implementing the facade pattern, which provides methods like getRunningProcesses(..) )?

I need a starting point in this regard.

Thanks in advance.

Kind regards, ruhl22.

• 1. Re: JBPM-BPEL process monitoring - engine API
          aguizar

The jBPM BPEL runtime inherits the engine API provided by jBPM jPDL. The class JbpmContext is the (pojo) facade to the publicly available process operations. The so-called "named" sessions, available from the jbpmContext object, encapsulate different categories of database access. The GraphSession provides methods to retrieve the deployed process definitions and the running process instances. A sample includes:
          findAllProcessDefinitions()
          findLatestProcessDefinitions()
          findProcessInstances(processDefinitionId)

• 2. Re: JBPM-BPEL process monitoring - engine API
            ruhl22

Thanks for your reply. This helps a lot.

What about process administration functionality? Is there a way (API) to start/stop deployed/running processes?

Kind regards, ruhl22.

• 3. Re: JBPM-BPEL process monitoring - engine API
              ruhl22

I have inspected the mentioned classes, my previous question is obsolete.

Thanks again, ruhl22.

• 4. Re: JBPM-BPEL process monitoring - engine API
                ruhl22

Hi Alex.

I have implemented a session bean facade and deployed it to the jboss server, where the jbpm-bpel engine runs. Additionally, using a client application, I access the method exposed by the deployed session bean.

Everything runs as imagined, except that I get an exception (related to hibernate lazy collection initialization) when trying to access the Actions of a BpelProcess.

Clinent code:
                Map<String, Action> actionMap = bpelProcessTemplate.getActions();
                actionMap.size(); //exception flies here.

The exception stack is:

Exception in thread "main" org.hibernate.LazyInitializationException: failed to lazily initialize a collection of role: org.jbpm.graph.def.ProcessDefinition.actions, no session or session was closed
                 at org.hibernate.collection.AbstractPersistentCollection.throwLazyInitializationException(AbstractPersistentCollection.java:358)
                 at org.hibernate.collection.AbstractPersistentCollection.throwLazyInitializationExceptionIfNotConnected(AbstractPersistentCollection.java:350)
                 at org.hibernate.collection.AbstractPersistentCollection.readSize(AbstractPersistentCollection.java:97)
                 at org.hibernate.collection.PersistentMap.size(PersistentMap.java:95)
                 at com.agetas.jbpm.client.Run.main(Run.java:83)

Do you have any idea, how I can prevent this exception to occur? I don't want to modify the hibernate mapping code of the classes within jbpm-jpdl.jar, to deactivate lazy loading...

Thanks in advane, ruhl22.