3 Replies Latest reply on Oct 30, 2007 2:31 AM by dleerob

Pitfalls when using Groups with the same name

dleerob

Hi,

There are a few pitfalls we are facing when we have groups with the same name (we may have groups with the same name, because they may be department names from different companies).

1) When using the IdentitySession method getGroupByName(String), it will only return the name of one group. What if we have multiple groups with the same name?

2) In the jbpm-console, when adding a user to a group, you can only type in the group name, but how does the console know which group to add the user membership to if there are two groups with the same name?

Are these just current limitations? How have others handled this?

I'm guessing we will need to develop our own way to handle these situations? i.e not using the getGroupByName method, but rather create your own hibernate query or use other API methods and filter the resulting lists accordingly, and using your own webapp and the Jbpm API's to add user memberships to groups?

• 1. Re: Pitfalls when using Groups with the same name
          dleerob

I suppose I could add a 3rd point:

3) If having multiple groups, using an expression to assign a task to a group could be problematic, eg assigning to "group(Payroll)". Which group should it be assigned to if there are two "Payroll" groups.

• 2. Re: Pitfalls when using Groups with the same name
            kukeltje

the jbpm identity module is good for demo and small companies. It is better to implement your own custom identity module that provides the functionality you require. So:

1) not supported by jbpm (or use departmental pre-/postfixes)
            2) Again... not supported unless..... (see 1)
            3) Again... not supported unless..... (see 2)

• 3. Re: Pitfalls when using Groups with the same name
              dleerob

For now, we have decided to use pre-fixes for our departmental type groups etc, so we will never have a group with the same name.

This will work fine until we develop our own identity module.

Thanks for the input, Ronald.