7 Replies Latest reply on Mar 10, 2008 6:15 AM by Koen Aers

specify task time window

Adrian Apthorp Newbie

I've been working on an iCalendar wrapper for JBPM in order that task assignments can be e-mailed to a user's calendar or task list displayed in a calendar agent as todos. Having got the basics working I've come across a problem with tasks that have a scheduled specific start and end time. The problem is how to specify the start time in JBPM (I'm setting the finish time using due date). The only possible way I can see to do this is to set a timer for the scheduled start time, but can't see how to get timer's associated with a task instance. Anyone any ideas or is there some easier way to do this?

I was also wondering why absolute due dates can't be specified? I can't see anything in the forums on this.

• 1. Re: specify task time window
          pojomonkey Newbie

"aapthorp" wrote:
          The only possible way I can see to do this is to set a timer for the scheduled start time, but can't see how to get timer's associated with a task instance. Anyone any ideas or is there some easier way to do this?

Store some 'handle' in a process variable available to the timer's handler code?

"aapthorp" wrote:
          I was also wondering why absolute due dates can't be specified? I can't see anything in the forums on this.

Since the process graph is intended to be run time and again, having an absolute due date/time wouldn't make much sense.

So the 'absolute' due date is the start date + the due date specified...

• 2. Re: specify task time window
            Ronald van Kuijk Master

due dates can use EL now as well (see the docs) That way you can set an absolute due date if it e.g. is in a processvariable.

And if the 'start date' does not need to be real (the task appearing at that time), use just a processvariable for that. If you do want see the task not before that specific date, use a state with a timer that transitions to the task if the timer is fired

• 3. Re: specify task time window
              Adrian Apthorp Newbie

"kukeltje" wrote:
              due dates can use EL now as well (see the docs) That way you can set an absolute due date if it e.g. is in a processvariable.

Thanks, had done this with an action handler, as per the example on the wiki contributions page.

"kukeltje" wrote:
              And if the 'start date' does not need to be real (the task appearing at that time), use just a processvariable for that. If you do want see the task not before that specific date, use a state with a timer that transitions to the task if the timer is fired

I guess the processvariable approach is the way to go, I was wondering if there was something built in that I missed i.e. task to start no earlier than and finish no later than, or a task duration. This would be useful for assigning actors based on existing task assignments.

P.S. Is there any interest in an iCalendar wrapper such as I've described?

• 4. Re: specify task time window
                Ronald van Kuijk Master

no need for an actionhandler anymore, but that is your choice...

regarding the delayed start of a task and your remark about assiging based on existing tasks, we do kind of workload distribution to, but assign them anyway... no delay

• 5. Re: specify task time window
                  Adrian Apthorp Newbie

no need for an actionhandler anymore, but that is your choice...

I guess I should've asked the question before implementing it...

regarding the delayed start of a task and your remark about assiging based on existing tasks, we do kind of workload distribution to, but assign them anyway... no delay

Wondering whether its worth raising this as a feature request?

• 6. Re: specify task time window
                    Ronald van Kuijk Master

Wondering whether its worth raising this as a feature request?

You could... not sure what priority it gets though...

• 7. Re: specify task time window
                      Koen Aers Master

"aapthorp" wrote:
                      Is there any interest in an iCalendar wrapper such as I've described?

There certainly is interest for this. I would suggest a post on the designer forum to discuss this and/or a JIRA issue where you can attach code (unit test, implementation, example).

Cheers,
                      Koen