8 Replies Latest reply on Jul 19, 2008 5:04 PM by kukeltje

Deploy the jBPM 3.2.3 JBoss 4.2 / 4.3

hi
      If you want to deploy jbpm 3.2.x or higher under jboss 4.x you must follow these steps:
      Step 1 :

Extract jbpm-console.war

tar -xvf jbpm-console.war
      -->META-INF WEB-INF images index.jsp sa ua

Remove this jar file from WEB-INF/lib/ :

- commons-fileupload.jar
      - jbpm-identity.jar
      - jbpm-jpdl.jar

Just you must have these jar file in WEB-INF/lib/ :

commons-io.jar gravel.jar jbpm4jsf.jar jsf-facelets.jar

Create war file :

zip -r jbpm-console.war *

step 2 :
      add this XML block to the conf/login-config.xml file under the 4.2 / 4.3 installation:
       <application-policy name = "jbpm">
       <authentication>
       <login-module code="org.jboss.security.auth.spi.DatabaseServerLoginModule"
       flag="required">
       <module-option name="dsJndiName">java:/JbpmDS</module-option>
       <module-option name="principalsQuery">
       SELECT PASSWORD_ FROM JBPM_ID_USER WHERE NAME_=?
       </module-option>
       <module-option name="rolesQuery">
       SELECT g.NAME_ ,'Roles'
       FROM JBPM_ID_USER u,
       JBPM_ID_MEMBERSHIP m,
       JBPM_ID_GROUP g
       WHERE g.TYPE_='security-role'
       AND m.GROUP_ = g.ID_
       AND m.USER_ = u.ID_
       AND u.NAME_=?
       </module-option>
       </login-module>
       </authentication>
       </application-policy>

Database configuration
      If you are using hypersonic as in the suite:
      * copy over the jbpm-ds.xml file from the 3.2 JBPM installation to the 4.2 environment (found under the jbpm/deploy directory).
      * Copy the jbpm/data/hypersonic/jbpm* from the 3.2 installation to the 4.2 default/data/hypersonic/ directory.
      from wiki page :
      http://wiki.jboss.org/wiki/DeployJbpm3.2WebAppUnderJBoss4.2.x

ok. when you complete these steps you must follow this step for JTA UserTransaction :

add this line to hibernate.cfg.xml :

<property name="jta.UserTransaction">UserTransaction</property>

• 1. Re: Deploy the jBPM 3.2.3 JBoss 4.2 / 4.3
          kukeltje

thanks, but wasn't this documented on the wiki already?

• 2. Re: Deploy the jBPM 3.2.3 JBoss 4.2 / 4.3

hi
            I founded some problems in the wiki-page about deploy jbpm-console.war under jboss 4.x specially JTA and I published this document again.
            bye

• 3. Re: Deploy the jBPM 3.2.3 JBoss 4.2 / 4.3
              kukeltje

tnx

• 4. Re: Deploy the jBPM 3.2.3 JBoss 4.2 / 4.3
                lblaauw

Hi,

Just a tip too, since we found out the hard way...

If you are using MySQL as a database dont use a mysql-connector.jar below 5.16 or you will get problems with the prepared insert statements ie they dont work because of a bug in the mysql connector driver...

Greetz
                Leo

• 5. Re: Deploy the jBPM 3.2.3 JBoss 4.2 / 4.3
                  marcusk

According to the readme file in /deploy, jbpm-console.war and jbpm-enterprise.ear can be deployed "out-of-the-box" on JBoss, without mention of a specific version.

Apparently this is not the case for the latest stable version of JBoss (4.2.2).

I strongly suggest that some reference to the actual truth (i.e. that it doesn't work "out-of-the-box" for the latest JBoss) is added to the readme file, for example in the form of a link to the before-mentioned wiki-page. Perhaps another option is to provide separate WAR/EARs for JBoss 4.2.2, if possible.

For people evaluating jBPM (like me) it is a big hassle to get things working. This does not give a good first impression.

BTW, the link to the wiki on http://www.jboss.org/jbossjbpm/jpdl/ is broken. This is among the other things not giving a good first impression. Also a link to the jBPM wiki on the main page would be nice.

• 6. Re: Deploy the jBPM 3.2.3 JBoss 4.2 / 4.3
                    kukeltje

It's not 4.2.2, it's 4.2.0, 4.2.1 and 4.2.2 that need special attention. In the near future a 4.0/1 and 4.2 version will be available.

The wiki (and other docs) are currently undergoing a redesign (behind the scenes) so it will be more up to date when this is all finished

• 7. Re: Deploy the jBPM 3.2.3 JBoss 4.2 / 4.3
                      marcusk

Right. I'm not sure you're getting my point. Let me try again.

Apparently the latest stable version of jBPM (3.2.3) does not work "out-of-the-box" with the latest version of JBoss AS (4.2.2), which was released 8 months earlier (2008-06-16 and 2007-10-22 respectively, according to the download pages. JBoss 4.2.0 is even older, so that only makes things worse).

This is contrary to what the readme file in jBPM (which does not refer to a specific version) suggests. Would it not be very easy to modify this document to include some mention of the problem and how to solve it? Certainly that would be a worthy investment considering the effort it would save for new/prospective users?

• 8. Re: Deploy the jBPM 3.2.3 JBoss 4.2 / 4.3
                        kukeltje

I did get your point, sorry for not stating that clearly. I just wanted to add that it does not work out of the box for the whole 4.2 series and yes that makes things worse.

Regarding the docs, If you have some 'patches' we'd be glad to add them. The reason we are not putting effort in it is that 'many things' are undergoing changes (there will e.g. most likely be a JBoss AS 4.0 compatible release, and a 4.2 compatible release.