3 Replies Latest reply on Aug 22, 2005 3:55 PM by Alejandro Guizar

Should the JpdlArchiveParser throw the JpdlException?

jjmargon Newbie

Hi, all.
      I'm testing the validation in the process definition files again.
      In this case, my process definition has the next code:

<process-definition name="Prueba Error">.....
      ...........<start-state name="start"/>
       <transition name="tr1" to="TaskNode1"></transition>
       </start-state>............
      </process-definition>

As you can see, the "start-state" element has a syntax error: it ends the tag (it must be
      <start-state name="start">
      instead
      <start-state name="start"/>
      The slash character isn't wanted in this case ;-)
      The issue is that when my application tries to read the xml file with the JpdlXmlReader, it throws a JpdlException. That's right.
      But, the JpdlArchiveParser has a try/catch and although the JpdlException occurs, my application that call the JpdlArchiveParser doesn't know it.
      My question is:
      should the JpdlArchiveParser throws the JpdlException to facilitate the calling code to know that an or more errors have happened in the process-definition.xml validation?
      This is the try/catch piece of code in JpdlArchiveParser
      try {
       // pump the problems from the jpdlReader over to the processArchive
       processDefinition = jpdlReader.readProcessDefinition();
       } catch (JpdlException e) {
       e.printStackTrace();
       // pump the problems from the jpdlReader over to the processArchive
       processArchive.getProblems().addAll(e.getProblems());
       }

Thanks in advance.
      Regards
      Juanjo

• 1. Re: Should the JpdlArchiveParser throw the JpdlException?
          Ronald van Kuijk Master

Eventually there will also be a validation against the schema. Once the WTP reaches final state. This validation will probably be done fist and *in* the editor as well as jBPM core. So many of these issues will not arise.

As mentioned in your other post, please file things like this in the jira

• 2. Re: Should the JpdlArchiveParser throw the JpdlException?
            Alejandro Guizar Master

As you can see in the try/catch block, the problem details are added to the process archive. If you instantiate a ProcessArchive and then invoke its parseProcessDefinition() method directly, instead of ProcessDefinition.parseParXXX(), you could later call ProcessArchive.getProblems() to see whether any problems have occurred.

However, the ProcessDefinition.parseXmlXXX() methods do throw a JpdlException with the list of problems that occurred. Conversely, ProcessDefinition.parseParXXX() have no way of notifying the caller of problems that might have ocurred.

How about changing method ProcessDefinition.parseParZipInputStream() from:

try {
             return new ProcessArchive(zipInputStream).parseProcessDefinition();
             } catch (IOException e) {
             throw new RuntimeException("couldn't parse par zip file zipInputStream", e);
             }

to:
            try {
             ProcessArchive archive = new ProcessArchive(zipInputStream);
             ProcessDefinition definition = archive.parseProcessDefinition();
             List problems = archive.getProblems();
             if (!problems.isEmpty()) throw new JpdlException(problems);
             return definition;
             } catch (IOException e) {
             throw new RuntimeException("couldn't parse par zip file zipInputStream", e);
             }

ProcessDefinition.parseParResource() delegates to the previous method, so it gets fixed for free.