9 Replies Latest reply on Apr 24, 2009 2:25 AM by Ronald van Kuijk

GWT Console login problem

Ronald van Kuijk Master

Ok, I admit it... I am learning GWT (a little) to investigate a certain forms technology. So I checked out the source and followed these steps:

- cd gwt-console
      - mvn install
      - cd ../jbpm4
      - mvn -Pdistro clean install

and ran the jbpm installer on a clean JBoss AS 5.0

When I tried to login, I got the following exception in the Firebug console:

[Exception... "'java.lang.RuntimeException: Unknown error upon login attempt' when calling method: [nsIDOMEventListener::handleEvent]" nsresult: "0x8057001c (NS_ERROR_XPC_JS_THREW_JS_OBJECT)" location: "<unknown>" data: no]

No errors in the AS log or whatever.

When I want to debug the application using

[kukel@laptop war]$ mvn com.totsp.gwt:maven-googlewebtoolkit2-plugin:gwt

All I get is
      Warning: JAVA_HOME environment variable is not set.
      [INFO] Scanning for projects...
      [INFO] ------------------------------------------------------------------------
      [INFO] Building JBoss BPM - GWT Console (WAR)
      [INFO] task-segment: [com.totsp.gwt:maven-googlewebtoolkit2-plugin:gwt]
      [INFO] ------------------------------------------------------------------------
      [INFO] Preparing gwt:gwt
      [INFO] [resources:resources]
      [INFO] Using default encoding to copy filtered resources.
      [INFO] [gwt:mergewebxml {execution: default}]
      [INFO] copy source web.xml - /home/kukel/workspace/gwt-console/war/src/main/webapp/WEB-INF/web.xml to build dir (source web.xml required if mergewebxml execution is enabled)
      [INFO] establishing classpath list (buildClaspathList - scope = COMPILE)
      [INFO] google.webtoolkit.home (gwtHome) *not* set, using project POM for GWT dependencies
      [INFO] Module file: /home/kukel/workspace/gwt-console/war/src/main/resources/org/jboss/bpm/console/Application.gwt.xml
      [INFO] [compiler:compile]
      [INFO] Compiling 3 source files to /home/kukel/workspace/gwt-console/war/target/classes
      [INFO] [dependency:unpack {execution: unpack}]
      [INFO] Configured Artifact: com.google.gwt:gwt-dev:linux-libs:?:zip
      [INFO] gwt-dev-1.5.2-linux-libs.zip already unpacked.
      [INFO] [gwt:gwt]
      [INFO] source web.xml present - /home/kukel/workspace/gwt-console/war/src/main/webapp/WEB-INF/web.xml - using it with embedded Tomcat
      [INFO] establishing classpath list (buildClaspathList - scope = RUNTIME)
      [INFO] google.webtoolkit.home (gwtHome) *not* set, using project POM for GWT dependencies
      ============= gwt-log-2.5.2 =============Thu Apr 16 20:01:03 CEST 2009=============
      [DEBUG] Console server: http://localhost:8888/org.jboss.bpm.console.Application/xhp
      [DEBUG] Report server: http://localhost:8080/report-server
      [DEBUG] Authentication against: http://localhost:8888/org.jboss.bpm.console.Application/xhp/rs/identity/user/roles?roleCheck=admin,manager,user
      GET http://localhost:8080/gwt-console-server/rs/identity/user/roles?roleCheck=admin,manager,user: 200
      [DEBUG] Reload ext-gen168
      GET http://localhost:8080/gwt-console-server/rs/tasks/alex?start=0&limit=15&_dc=1239904891547&callback=stcCallback1001: 200

when I try to login.

The application does not even respond anymore in this situation

So does anybody have any idea how to 'fix' this?

• 1. Re: GWT Console login problem
          Heiko Braun Master

I guess you are experiencing two different problems:

a) One related to the actual app
          b) another related to the build, setup, etc when testing the GWT console.

We would need to regard them separately.

My question for now:

a) What firefox version are you using?
          b) any errors in the GWT shell (hosted mode, not the actual linux terminal)

• 2. Re: GWT Console login problem
            Ronald van Kuijk Master

I was just going to provide some additional info, mainly regarding b), but to answer in order:

a) FF 3.0.8 with Firebug 1.3.3 (will try without firebug tonight)
            b) Initially none, but patient as I am, I left it open and after 5 minutes of 100% cpu (one cpu lucky I have two :-) so I did not notice it) this error occured:

[ERROR] [ERROR] Failed to load remote data
            com.gwtext.client.data.StoreLoadException: [object Object]
            at com.gwtext.client.data.Store.createStoreLoadException(Store.java:907)
            at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke0(Native Method)
            at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(NativeMethodAccessorImpl.java:57)
            at sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.java:43)
            at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Method.java:616)
            at com.google.gwt.dev.shell.MethodAdaptor.invoke(MethodAdaptor.java:103)
            at com.google.gwt.dev.shell.moz.MethodDispatch.invoke(MethodDispatch.java:80)
            at org.eclipse.swt.internal.gtk.OS._g_main_context_iteration(Native Method)
            at org.eclipse.swt.internal.gtk.OS.g_main_context_iteration(OS.java:1428)
            at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.Display.readAndDispatch(Display.java:2840)
            at com.google.gwt.dev.GWTShell.pumpEventLoop(GWTShell.java:720)
            at com.google.gwt.dev.GWTShell.run(GWTShell.java:593)
            at com.google.gwt.dev.GWTShell.main(GWTShell.java:357)

• 3. Re: GWT Console login problem
              Ronald van Kuijk Master

Oh, and after this, I do see the console, but nothing realy responds if requests have to be made to the server.

• 4. Re: GWT Console login problem
                Heiko Braun Master

Yes, the current error handling is bad. It sometimes leaves the console in a weird state. More of problem is that the error messages are not very self explaining. But from what you describe, you seem to be running into a timeout in situation b)

• 5. Re: GWT Console login problem
                  Ronald van Kuijk Master

Running the same installer and deploying to JBoss AS 4.2.2 I get the more detail about the error in FF:

[Exception... "'java.lang.RuntimeException: Unknown error upon login attempt' when calling method: [nsIDOMEventListener::handleEvent]" nsresult: "0x8057001c (NS_ERROR_XPC_JS_THREW_JS_OBJECT)" location: "<unknown>" data: no]
                  getElementsByClassName("title", "span", undefined)menu.js (line 123)
                  init()menu.js (line 42)
                  [Break on this error] var arrElements = (strTagName == "*"...: oElm.getElementsByTagName(strTagName);

I'll try to find out some more, but I'm just curious if I'm the only one experiencing this with the latest from trunk...

• 6. Re: GWT Console login problem
                    Ronald van Kuijk Master

I found the 'problem'. I initially had the same issue (but different errors) with the new gwt-mosaic version. By accident I looked in the Firefox errors console and there was an error report about "code from 127.0.0.1 accessing something probably not accessing localhost". So I tried changing 127.0.0.1 in my browser to localhost and it worked. Makes me wonder where this comes from and whether it will be a problem if there is a revers proxy in front of the jBPM console (which in many cases there will)

• 7. Re: GWT Console login problem
                      Heiko Braun Master

Can you provide some stacktraces? Did the new console show any errors, or did you have to pull it from the ff err console?

• 8. Re: GWT Console login problem
                        Heiko Braun Master

"code from 127.0.0.1 accessing something probably not accessing localhost"

is this your interpretation, or the exact wording? I would need something more specific to investigate.

• 9. Re: GWT Console login problem
                          Ronald van Kuijk Master

The Firebug console showed a realy huge error, the standalone GWT 'console' version worked fine.

The FF console error (different than the one in the Firebug console) is my wordings. I can test tonight again and provide you with the full errors.