0 Replies Latest reply on Jan 22, 2007 4:48 PM by inyourcorner

Binding and Saving Objects

inyourcorner

Hi all - looking for a bit of help or direction.

I'm having a bit of a problem trying to bind an Object-type implementing Referenceable to JNDI. There's a requirement here that the object can't be saved in a Serialized way, it needs to be a reference so it's kept alive in memory even after I've disconnected to it.

Hopefully someone can help - i've tried to lay it out below as simply as I can.

-> I've got an Object-Type that implements Referenceable (I've implemented the getReference() function appropriately I hope:

public Reference getReference(){

// the ObjectTreeRefAddr is a class I wrote implementing RefAddr
       // so that I can store away a whole "live" object, and not just String props
       ObjectTreeRefAddr refAddr = new ObjectTreeRefAddr("objecttree", this);
       Reference myRef = new Reference(ObjectTree.class.getName(),
       refAddr,
       ObjectTreeFactory.class.getName(), null);
       // debug-code, below will return the Reference correctly
       ObjectTreeRefAddr newRefAddr = (ObjectTreeRefAddr)myRef.get(0);

return myRef;
      }

I've also created the Factory for this ObjectTree class but the problem i'm having is when I go to Bind(), not really at the Lookup part yet.

// Following code breaks...
      context.bind("objecttree", myObj);

// ...With the following error:
      /* Problem binding:
      javax.naming.CommunicationException [Root exception is java.rmi.MarshalException: error marshalling arguments; nested exception is:
       java.io.NotSerializableException: com.company.work.ObjectTree]
      */

I think (hope) i'm doing this correctly - it binds just fine if I use a StringRefAddr instead of trying to bind the Object Reference. I'm also hoping that this is even possible. Again it's got to be a Referenceable and not a Serializable (a forced decision).

Thanks, in advance, to anyone that could offer suggestions.