11 Replies Latest reply on Feb 21, 2008 2:35 PM by ryousure2000

Personalization Features in 2.4?

stevej812

Hi,

Looking at the Portal 2.6 docs there is a note indicating a new Personal Dashboard feature is being worked on which should be released soon...
      Note: At the time of this release, functionality on Adding Pages, and Adding portlet windows, has not been added to the dashboarding area for users.

We are evaluating 2.4 at this time. Based on the above note I know users can't add pages and portlet windows but I wanted to know if 2.4 allows for the pre-creation of a 'My Page' for users by the admin and if each user can then customize their 'My Page' and/or add portlets to it selecting from a pre-defined portlet list?

thanks,
      Steve

• 1. Re: Personalization Features in 2.4?
          theute

Nope.
          Page customization (aka personal dashboard) is only in 2.6

In 2.4, the admin (and anyone with the privilege) can create pages that are shared among all the users.

• 2. Re: Personalization Features in 2.4?
            stevej812

Hi,

Thanks for the quick feedback. So just to be clear in 2.4 are you saying a user can't even modify the look and feel of a page, move location of portlets around (e.g from center to left) and/or select pre-defined portlets from a list to add/remove to/from his My Page?

thanks,
            Steve

• 3. Re: Personalization Features in 2.4?
              theute

I think he can change the current theme. (To verify)

The user can set preference for every portlet of predefined pages. Pages and their compositions can vary from one role to the other. But a single user cannot change the pages or the portlet just for him.

If you are still at the evalutation process, i would encourage you to start with 2.4, you can get professional support for it.

All your portlets will work in 2.6 and we provide a migration application. 2.6 final is due early next year and support will be available for it. Once you will move to 2.6 you will then benefit from the pages composition if it is key for your business.

Another option is to start right on 2.6 thanks to the early release (Snapshot) that we released.

• 4. Re: Personalization Features in 2.4?
                stevej812

Ok thanks again!

We are not looking to allow the users to change content on a page or portlet just for him and we never want a user to be able to add his own portlets. The scenario we want is as admin to setup pre-defined pages/portlets then have each user be able to select one or more to include on their 'My Page'. Is this possible in 2.4 now?

Steve

• 5. Re: Personalization Features in 2.4?
                  theute

The scenario you describe is the one i talked about and is available in 2.6

Some pages are defined by the admin but the users can add its own pages and compose the pages from a list of available portlets.

• 6. Re: Personalization Features in 2.4?
                    stevej812

Based on your feedback we may evaluate 2.6 sooner.

In the 2.4 user guide there is reference to security settings to grant 'personalize' to allow users to personlize an object. What does this allow a user to do? In 2.4 are there any basic user personalization features for each user to have a 'My Page' (e.g. move portlets to another area: left to center, modify theme, etc.)?

Steve

• 7. Re: Personalization Features in 2.4?

"stevej812" wrote:
                      In 2.4 are there any basic user personalization features for each user to have a 'My Page' (e.g. move portlets to another area: left to center, modify theme, etc.)?

No. This is the big push behind 2.6.

• 8. Re: Personalization Features in 2.4?
                        stevej812

Ok sounds good. Are some of these features available in 2.6-DR1 to start evaulating or do I need to wait for the next 2.6 code drop? Is the next 2.6 code drop in Dec. timeframe?

thanks,
                        Steve

• 9. Re: Personalization Features in 2.4?

Most of the features you mentioned are scheduled for 2.6Alpha due in December, yes.

• 10. Re: Personalization Features in 2.4?
                            stevej812

Ok thanks. I installed 2.6DR and it looks like some basic personalization dashboard features are already there!

Do you know if the following scenario will be doable in 2.6Alpha?

The scenario we want is as admin to setup pre-defined pages/portlets then have each user be able to select one or more to include on their 'Dashboard'.

Steve

Steve

• 11. Re: Personalization Features in 2.4?
                              ryousure2000

Did you able to implement your requirement. I have similar reuirement , we want user to select content from predefined list.

Thanks