7 Replies Latest reply on Feb 2, 2007 1:49 PM by dexxa

HTTP Status 401 Error on Admin Page (can't access page anymo

mwolfson

So I was fooling around with the security on the Admin page, and I set the constraint for the Admin page to "personalizerecursive" (figuring this would be the lease restrictive).

As soon as I did this, I couldn't access the page anymore (when I was logged in correctly), and got the 401 Error from the server.

I have changed the property in the ..../conf/data/default-object.xml to "view recursive for all <security-constraints>. This hasn't helped.

Obviously I have tried to reboot the server, and tried changing every XML file I could find (searched my entire directory for all attributes related to these security contraints.

So, I am completely screwed. I can't access the Admin screen to fix what I messed up (since I get the 401), or do any other type of configuration (ie move portlets or stuff like that).

Where is this parameter stored? Is there another way to access the Admin screen outside of the Portal?

The complete error from the server is:
      --HTTP Status 401 -
      --type Status report
      --description This request requires HTTP authentication ().

I don't see any exceptions thrown in my server log (just a bunch of debug from Hibernate from what I can tell.)

HELP! I am really in trouble without being able to use the admin tool to interact with my Portal. I am suprised I can't find another thread with someone else who has had this problem. I looked extensively.

• 1. Re: HTTP Status 401 Error on Admin Page (can't access page a
          peterj

That is so weird. Personalizerecursive is supposed to be a superset of viewrecursive. Yet, in 2.4.1, on the Management page, I can change the security for the Admin page as you have indicated and see the Admin tab disappear.

Try this. In the jboss-portal.sar/conf/data/default-object.xml file, replicate the entire description for the Admin page and name it something else, e.g., NewAdmin. Also, change the if-exists setting at the very start of the file to 'overwrite'. Then when you start up, log in as admin and you should have a NewAdmin tab. From there you can fix the security on the Admin tab, and finally get rid of the NewAdmin tab. Remember to reset the default-object.xml file back to the original.

• 2. Re: HTTP Status 401 Error on Admin Page (can't access page a
            mwolfson

Thanks for the great idea. I tried that, and it definately worked.

Unfortunately, I over achieved, and I basically overwrote everything I did previously (the first time I brought up the Portal, I got all the default pages - with my new "NewAdmin" page of course). I changed the tag to overwrite for the entire portal (probably should have just done it for the specific I was working on).

I guess this is a learning experience, and it won't take me nearly as long to redo everything as it did to create it in the first place.

----------------
            Update...
            Fortunately, I saved a copy of my old Portal before I started messing around (save early, save often!), so I was able to recover easily.

So, I tried again. I copied everything, between the and tags related to Admin, and renamed the page NewAdmin. The NewAdmin page tags are within the same tags as Admin. I also changed the <if-exists> tag to overwrite (it was - keep).

The NewAdmin page doesn't show up. I guess I could create a new deployment "defaultNew" and try that, but I am not sure if I would be able to change the attributes on the old deployment (the original Admin page, which is the original goal).

So, I guess I am still not 100% there. This is frustrating, the Admin page should be external to the actual Portal (enhancement request - maybe I will see about working on that myself when I get past my current deadline, and get some free time).

BTW, I am using 2.4 on Ubuntu Linux.

At any rate, thanks for the idea. It totally fixed my problem.

• 3. Re: HTTP Status 401 Error on Admin Page (can't access page a
              mwolfson

Unfortunately, I over achieved, and I basically overwrote everything I did previously (the first time I brought up the Portal, I got all the default pages - with my new "NewAdmin" page of course). I changed the tag to overwrite for the entire portal (probably should have just done it for the specific I was working on).

I guess this is a learning experience, and it won't take me nearly as long to redo everything as it did to create it in the first place.

----------------
              Update...
              Fortunately, I saved a copy of my old Portal before I started messing around (save early, save often!), so I was able to recover easily.

So, I tried again. I copied everything, between the and tags related to Admin, and renamed the page NewAdmin. The NewAdmin page tags are within the same tags as Admin. I also changed the <if-exists> tag to overwrite (it was - keep).

The NewAdmin page doesn't show up. I guess I could create a new deployment "defaultNew" and try that, but I am not sure if I would be able to change the attributes on the old deployment (the original Admin page, which is the original goal).

So, I guess I am still not 100% there. This is frustrating, the Admin page should be external to the actual Portal (enhancement request - maybe I will see about working on that myself when I get past my current deadline, and get some free time).

At any rate, thanks for the idea. It totally fixed my problem.

• 4. Re: HTTP Status 401 Error on Admin Page (can't access page a
                mwolfson

(Bad HTML Formatting in previous message, this one is better...)

----------------
                Update...

So, I tried again. I copied everything, between the "page" and "/page" tags related to Admin, and renamed the page NewAdmin. The NewAdmin page tags are within the same "deployment" tags as Admin. I also changed the "if-exists" tag to overwrite (it was - keep).

• 5. Re: HTTP Status 401 Error on Admin Page (can't access page a
                  theute

in 2.6 the admin pages are seperated from the portal (it is actually a portal itself).

• 6. Re: HTTP Status 401 Error on Admin Page (can't access page a
                    mwolfson

Found the solution to my problem (wanted to post it here in case anyone else has similar issues).

Looked in following script:
                    ../data/portal/hypersonic/database.script

and found the following line:
                    INSERT INTO JBP_OBJECT_NODE_SEC_ACTIONS VALUES(56,'personalizerecursive')

changed it to:
                    INSERT INTO JBP_OBJECT_NODE_SEC_ACTIONS VALUES(56,'viewrecursive')

which solved my problem. Anyone know how to map the number (in this case 56) to the portlet (or page) that is references? I didn't find an easy way (although I didn't spend a lot of time looking.

So obviously, changing the parameter on the Admin page modified this script. Good info to know for future.

• 7. Re: HTTP Status 401 Error on Admin Page (can't access page a
                      dexxa

In the case you state I believe that the number 56 (field PK) would map to the automatically generated field PK in the table JBP_Object_Node_SEC.

JBP_OBJECT_NODE_SEC_ACTIONS.PK = JBP_OBJECT_NODE_SEC.PK
                      Once you find the 56 in that table, look for the NODE_KEY associated with it and then look that number up in the JBP_Object_NODE to find the page or portlet.

JBP_Object_Node_SEC.NODE_KEY = JBP_Object_NODE.PK