13 Replies Latest reply on Mar 11, 2007 12:15 AM by m4c0

    Management portlet improvements

    Viet Master

      We need this new topic to collect the improvements that should be made to the current ALPHA2.

        • 1. Re: Management portlet improvements
          Viet Master

          An essential feature concerns the tree : if the children of a node are too numerous then only a sub range of the children are displayed along with controls which provide navigation in the range.

          • 2. Re: Management portlet improvements
            Viet Master

            An essential feature concerns the editor of window content. With the new addition of the content editor it is a need to have the capability to edit the different content types of a window (like in the dashboard).

            • 3. Re: Management portlet improvements
              Roy Russo Master

               

              "julien@jboss.com" wrote:
              An essential feature concerns the tree : if the children of a node are too numerous then only a sub range of the children are displayed along with controls which provide navigation in the range.


              For dashboard viewing by admins, I will use the datascroller component.

              • 4. Re: Management portlet improvements
                Roy Russo Master

                 

                "julien@jboss.com" wrote:
                An essential feature concerns the editor of window content. With the new addition of the content editor it is a need to have the capability to edit the different content types of a window (like in the dashboard).


                I have no idea how that works.

                • 5. Re: Management portlet improvements
                  Thomas Heute Master

                  I added a couple of Jira tasks grouped under:
                  http://jira.jboss.org/jira/browse/JBPORTAL-1243

                  Those are little things to make it quickly more readable
                  but this would clearly require a *major* rework.

                  Setting the security constraints is not natural.
                  Moving windows with right-left is good, but we can't know what is right, left... so pressing the right button doesn't necessarly means that it will go at the right of the screen. This is confusing.

                  • 6. Re: Management portlet improvements
                    Viet Master

                     

                    "roy.russo@jboss.com" wrote:
                    "julien@jboss.com" wrote:
                    An essential feature concerns the editor of window content. With the new addition of the content editor it is a need to have the capability to edit the different content types of a window (like in the dashboard).


                    I have no idea how that works.


                    when you create a window you must pass as argument now a ContentType object (a mere string wrapper) and an URI which represents

                    - the instance id for portlets
                    - the content path for cms

                    The dashboard editor has 2 panes one for portlet and one for CMS. Each pane is a plugin integrated with the dashboard editor though a contract (ContentEditor).

                    When the dashboard editor needs to show the content of the portlet or CMS it delegates these operations to the right plugin based on the content type which has been chosen.




                    • 7. Re: Management portlet improvements
                      Viet Master

                       

                      "roy.russo@jboss.com" wrote:
                      "julien@jboss.com" wrote:
                      An essential feature concerns the tree : if the children of a node are too numerous then only a sub range of the children are displayed along with controls which provide navigation in the range.


                      For dashboard viewing by admins, I will use the datascroller component.


                      that does not solve the problem that if the tree access a node with 1000,000 node the server will be killed.

                      • 8. Re: Management portlet improvements
                        Roy Russo Master

                        Doesnt the userportlet do the same thing? If we have a thousand users and someone lists them all, does the server die?

                        • 9. Re: Management portlet improvements
                          Thomas Heute Master

                          No, of course not, requests are paged, by default it fetchs 10 users at a time.

                          • 10. Re: Management portlet improvements
                            Roy Russo Master

                            Ok. So Ill fork the tree component and hack at it. Add 3 weeks to the task.

                            • 11. Re: Management portlet improvements
                              Viet Master

                              No I'll add 5 weeks.

                              • 12. Re: Management portlet improvements
                                Kevin Barfield Newbie

                                Delegated Administration ? Admins should be able to delegate administration at the portlet, portal page, or portal level to a role. In addition, they should be filter this administration by a user parameter, like department name.

                                Copy/Move ? Admins should be able to copy or move the setup of a portal page or portal to another location in the tree.

                                Navigation Setup ? There should be a way to setup the navigation portlet at the portal level, and have it default for all portal pages when they are created. The Admin can change this default navigation portlet. In addition, the renderers should be set to empty by default for navigation portlets.

                                Column layout ? The column layout for the portal page in the admin portlet should reflect the page layout (if there are two columns on the page, there should be two columns on the admin portlet for that page, and so on). The columns should be in the same order as they would be shown on the page.

                                Audit/History ? Show when the latest change to the page was made, and if it was done through the admin portlet (and if so by whom), or if it was done by deployment of a portlet.

                                Import/Export ? Import/Export parts of the tree to migrate between environments or for backup purposes.

                                Preview ? Allow the administrator to see/interact with the changed portal tree before making it ?live?.

                                • 13. Re: Management portlet improvements
                                  m4c0 Newbie

                                  I have a question: why the user needs to have a portlet to manage page layout? IMHO, this is totally unintuitive - I prefer using AJAX DnD or arrows on portlet's title.

                                  Why JBoss Portal is using this strange approach? It is hard to use and also leads to some bugs, like freezing layout if the last management portlet deletes itself.