Nobody to answer to these relevant questions ?
Seems to me that best approch would consist in building another SAR for specific needs, but as far as I understand, you have to override some files inside core modules to get a portal really customized. Examples :
- META-INF/jboss-service.xml to customize header pages, error pages, ... (otherwise, override default files)
- portal-cms.sar/META-INF/jboss-service.xml to customize CMS
- portal-server.war/*.jsp for authentication
I am setting up my first project with JBP. I've decided to override default files which needs changes (these files are externalized inside custom modules in SVN) and to create a SAR which stores all files specific to our portal : custom portlets, theme, layout, ...
But I'm not totally satisfied with this approch (and its implementation with Maven) : I wish I could customize a portal without changing default configuration.
How do you resolve this ?
1) yes, as long as you are aware of what you are doing
2) it does not change much, except that maybe for you it is easier to ship or backup
3) what does it mean ? the file is always yours
5) no, you should customize the jsps
6) I think best idea would be to do something similar to the header / tabs which are using JSP and are injected in the theme (http://docs.jboss.com/jbportal/v2.6.2/referenceGuide/html/themeandlayouts.html)
7) you cannot, hot redeploying only happens at the deploy level, you cannot hot redeploy a nested deployable