4 Replies Latest reply on Mar 9, 2009 4:30 PM by wherisat

partial refresh for portlets (server-side implications)

attodorov

Hi,

I have been reading about the Partial Refresh support in the JBoss forum. I had a very nasty problem with the WebSphere Portal in that whatever kind of AJAX you use with JSF components, all other portlets on the page are re-rendered again. It looks like for that Portal, the only way to have "real" ajax , and avoid the server-side overhead, is to point the XMLHttpRequests to an external servlet that will serve them. But IMO that's really a hack and not a clean solution at all, because it breaks the whole idea of a "Portal".

I have seen that JBoss has the feature "partial refresh". Here is my question:

If i have my own JSF AJAX framework (with custom render-response phase listener for instance) , and I do a XMLHttpRequest to the portal, will it automatically render() all of the other portlets on the page ? If yes, is there any configuration parameter that I can use to avoid that and to render only the portlet that caused the Action Request ? Will the "partial refresh" property work fine , even though I am not using the ajax4jsf portal support?

Thanks very much for your feedback.

Regards,
      Angel

• 1. Re: partial refresh for portlets (server-side implications)
          theute

Partial refresh does not use ajax4jsf.
          Actually it's purpose is to have a refresh of a unique window at a time, that portlet does not have to use any AJAX technology.

• 2. Re: partial refresh for portlets (server-side implications)

Thomas, are you saying that I can benefit from partial refresh using only JSR 168 and JBOSS 2.6.5SP1? For example, if I have a JSP that has a form with a button, and I'd like that button to cause only that portlet to refresh, this can be accomplished?

To clarify, currently my JSP has code similar to this:

<form action="<%=renderResp.createActionURL().toString()%>" method="POST">
             <select>
             <option value="volvo">Volvo</option>
             <option value="saab">Saab</option>
             <option value="mercedes">Mercedes</option>
             <option value="audi">Audi</option>
             </select>
             <input TYPE="SUBMIT">
            </form>

And hitting the SUBMIT button always causes a full portal refresh. How can I fix it so that it only causes a portlet refresh?

I have been searching for the answer to this for several days, with no luck, in both the JBOSS documentation and elsewhere. I am a web noob though, so maybe it's just something simple. I would be happy to pay for a quick solution, if any exists, I've wasted so much time already.

• 3. Re: partial refresh for portlets (server-side implications)
              theute

You keep saying you are willing to pay... We do offer professional services to assist development and production. Your time is valuable and so is ours. I've answered on this other post, no need to multi-post.

• 4. Re: partial refresh for portlets (server-side implications)

For anyone who tracks this the other post is:
                http://www.jboss.org/index.html?module=bb&op=viewtopic&t=124550

I didn't find it helpful though, I've read that documentation over and over. I will look through the samples. That failing, I will look into the paid services, I wish it was as simple as "I can do that for $75 USD, send to paypal account X" or something.