4 Replies Latest reply on Sep 21, 2008 4:12 AM by javauser007

Problem with configuring the ldap in jboss portal

Hi,
      I'm using jboss portal 2.6.5 and open ldap.
      I have created an .ldif file according to my company requirements and it works fine with other applications except Jboss portal.

My problem is, in my .ldif file i mentioned "my-user" for holding username and "my-pwd" for holding password.
      and in my ldap_identity-config.xml file i mentioned accordingly as givebellow.

uidAttributeID
      my-user

passwordAttributeID
      my-pwd

But while i'm trying to access i'm not getting any error on console and simply the page is redirected to some other error page which shows "The user doesn't exist or the password is incorrect " .and in log file i'm getting the message like "Bad password for the user XXXXX" (even if i entered correct user name and password), but if i use "userPassword" name for holding the password in .ldif file it works fine.

if i use "userPassword" name and even if i disabling the following code in ldap_identity-config.xml it works fine.

passwordAttributeID
      userPassword

But i should mention uidAttributeID like below

uidAttributeID
      my-user

and after doing some R&D on this, finally i came to know that the jboss is not at all reading the following snipet.

passwordAttributeID
      my-pwd

but my requirement is i should use "my-pwd" attribute id for holding the password.

How to do that..? any help is appriciated.......

• 1. Re: Problem with configuring the ldap in jboss portal
          bdaw

This attribute name is used only to perform password update (change). Authentication is done directly against LDAP server using user credentials, not by checking and comparing password value. If you want to use different attribute to store password check if your LDAP server enables this.

• 2. Re: Problem with configuring the ldap in jboss portal

Hi Bdaw, thanks for your reply... But still i'm getting confusion... if my attribute my-pwd is used only for updating the existed password, then from where jboss is getting the credentials(because i'm using ldap, so from ldap only jboss checks the password...?) to chek the valid user or not....?

can you clear it again..

Regards,
            J...

• 3. Re: Problem with configuring the ldap in jboss portal
              bdaw

When user logs in he enter the password. Then the credentials are passed to the LDAP server to validate them (portal tries to create ldap connection using them). At any stage portal doesn't read the password attribute value from LDAP. The main difference with the DB is that portal reads the hash of the password from database table to validate it.

• 4. Re: Problem with configuring the ldap in jboss portal

Hi bdaw, thanks for ur fast reply..
                the same .ldif file is working with other applications where the authintication has done from ldap. But if i user the same .ldif for jboss portal then only i'm facing this prob... and one more doubt in my .ldif file i don't have any roles like User,Admin... then how can i assign the Admin Role permissions to my company specific role and as well as users.......?

Regards,
                J