2 Replies Latest reply on May 4, 2009 9:36 AM by brian.stansberry

Moving ServiceBindingManager config out of bootstrap

brian.stansberry

For 5.1.0.GA, I'd like to move the SBM deployment out of the bootstrap. There's been discussion on the dev list of doing this for AS 6, since the ProfileService impl will support more fine-grained sub-profiles. But I see now it's needed for 5.1 as well if we ever want to be able to have editable managed objects for the SBM components.[1] I think getting that working in 5.1 is important, since it provides hooks for future mgmt tooling improvements.

My work on JBAS-6259 shows me that with bindings.xml in the bootstrap, edits to the components aren't persisted.

The reason SBM deployment is in the bootstrap is it has to come before conf/jboss-service.xml. But that doesn't mean it has to be in bootstrap. I propose to simply change StaticProfileFactory and expose a "bindingsURI" property, which if set will result in a sub-profile that deploys before the conf/jboss-service.xml sub-profile. I've done this locally and it works fine.

Any comments?

[1] https://jira.jboss.org/jira/browse/JBAS-6259

• 1. Re: Moving ServiceBindingManager config out of bootstrap
          emuckenhuber

"bstansberry@jboss.com" wrote:

My work on JBAS-6259 shows me that with bindings.xml in the bootstrap, edits to the components aren't persisted.

Yes, the attachment persistence is not available for bootstrap deployments, as they are not managed by profileservice.

"bstansberry@jboss.com" wrote:

The reason SBM deployment is in the bootstrap is it has to come before conf/jboss-service.xml. But that doesn't mean it has to be in bootstrap. I propose to simply change StaticProfileFactory and expose a "bindingsURI" property, which if set will result in a sub-profile that deploys before the conf/jboss-service.xml sub-profile. I've done this locally and it works fine.

Yes, i think that's the best option. Have you also tried to just put it into the current bootstrap profile, it might can handle the dependencies itself without requiring it's own profile? I'm just curious if that would work ;)

• 2. Re: Moving ServiceBindingManager config out of bootstrap
            brian.stansberry

Didn't see your response over the weekend, Emanuel. Mail from forums is still slow. :(

Anyway, I went ahead and implemented the "separate sub-profile" approach. https://jira.jboss.org/jira/browse/JBAS-6853

Have you also tried to just put it into the current bootstrap profile, it might can handle the dependencies itself without requiring it's own profile? I'm just curious if that would work ;)

You mean change the bootstrapURI property so it becomes a List? I'm pretty sure that wouldn't work, because the handling of a value-factory element in a -service.xml doesn't generate an MC dependency. I could be wrong and something magical happens, but I doubt it.

Of course a "depends" element in conf/jboss-service.xml would probably take care of it.

But now I've done the separate subprofile approach so I think I'll stick with that. :)