I've spent the last day and a half on this and only just figured out my
problem a few moments ago. As I hadn't seen anything in the documentation or questions in the forums about it, I thought I'd post this in case anyone else encounters the same problem.
I'm running 1.0.1_CR4 (had this problem with CR3 as well) and as soon as I'd put my server on another host from my client, began getting connection errors. I quickly realized that my server was reporting the loopback address as localhost, so I modified run.conf to include the java.rmi.server.hostname property.
That allowed the initial connection to the server, but then after a period I'd get this error
java.lang.RuntimeException: Failed to config client side AOP at org.jboss.jms.client.JBossConnectionFactory.ensureAOPConfigLoaded(JBossConnectionFactory.java:251) at org.jboss.jms.client.JBossConnectionFactory.createConnectionInternal(JBossConnectionFactory.java:196) at org.jboss.jms.client.JBossConnectionFactory.createConnection(JBossConnectionFactory.java:96) at org.jboss.jms.client.JBossConnectionFactory.createConnection(JBossConnectionFactory.java:91) at com.flc.utility.JMSHelper.run(JMSHelper.java:109) at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:595) Caused by: org.jboss.remoting.CannotConnectException: Can not get connection to server. Problem establishing socket connection for locator - InvokerLocator [socket://127.0.0.1:4457/?dataType=jms&marshaller=org.jboss.jms.server.remoting.JMSWireFormat&serializationtype=jboss&socket.check_connection=false&unmarshaller=org.jboss.jms.server.remoting.JMSWireFormat] at org.jboss.remoting.transport.socket.MicroSocketClientInvoker.transport(MicroSocketClientInvoker.java:318) at org.jboss.remoting.MicroRemoteClientInvoker.invoke(MicroRemoteClientInvoker.java:116) at org.jboss.remoting.Client.invoke(Client.java:612) at org.jboss.remoting.Client.invoke(Client.java:604) at org.jboss.jms.client.delegate.ClientConnectionFactoryDelegate.invoke(ClientConnectionFactoryDelegate.java:198) at org.jboss.jms.client.delegate.ClientConnectionFactoryDelegate$getClientAOPConfig_8697532701842707646.invokeNext(ClientConnectionFactoryDelegate$getClientAOPConfig_8697532701842707646.java) at org.jboss.jms.client.delegate.ClientConnectionFactoryDelegate.getClientAOPConfig(ClientConnectionFactoryDelegate.java) at org.jboss.jms.client.JBossConnectionFactory.ensureAOPConfigLoaded(JBossConnectionFactory.java:233) ... 5 more
I finally realized that I needed to edit remoting-service.xml in the jboss-messaging SAR to change the serverBindAddress attribute to use the java.rmi.server.hostname property instead of jboss.bind.address.
Now, maybe this is documented somewhere and I missed it, or maybe this is a problem with my linux box's configuration; however, it seemed pretty likely that others would suffer the same problem.
I'm not sure if there's a better fix than this, but it's certainly not too painful for me.