In our case we have one application in a JBoss server instance that produces messages to a queue and another application in another JBoss instance that has an MDB which consumes them. With the old JBossMQ configuration we used a remoteJNDI adapter to do this.
The JCA layer is the same. You just need to configure a new JMS Xa Resource Adapter pointing to the remote node. Your old configuration on jms-ds.xml would probably still work ok.
Thanks for the replay.
The old stuff (JBossMQ) does work, but we are trying to rid ourselves of a production issue with the old JBossMQ configuration. The issue dealt with the producing instance ( of JBoss ) being restarted and the consuming instance not. In some cases we run out of threads because of the UIL2 layer bug in the PingThread. There are many posts on this issue.
Anyway, since my last post I got it to work in a "clustered" configuration.