6 Replies Latest reply on Mar 6, 2009 9:34 AM by jbabad

Client connection timeout

jbabad Newbie

Hi,

I've seen a few posts related to this and to JBREM-1069.
      We're running a trial version of JBoss EAP 4.3 and the JBoss Remoting patch 2.2.2SP11-brew - which is supposed to contain that fix.

We're seeing this on the client side - in the remoting-bisocket-service.xml I've increased the timeout to 5s. The RemotingConnection is showing this value, but the ConnectionValidator is showing a timeout of 1s and a ping period of 1s. How do we change these values and the number of retries? We are seeing timeouts with the client thinking that the connection has disappeared. This triggers a client failover, which times out as, in fact, the cluster is still OK.

Thanks.

2009-03-03 15:55:43,605 TRACE [org.jboss.jms.client.remoting.JMSRemotingConnection] (main) JMSRemotingConnection[bisocket://192.168.8.118:4457/?JBM_clientMaxPoolSize=200&clientLeasePeriod=15000&clientSocketClass=org.jboss.jms.client.remoting.ClientSocketWrapper&dataType=jms&marshaller=org.jboss.jms.wireformat.JMSWireFormat&numberOfCallRetries=1&numberOfRetries=10&pingFrequency=214748364&pingWindowFactor=10&socket.check_connection=false&stopLeaseOnFailure=true&timeout=5000&unmarshaller=org.jboss.jms.wireformat.JMSWireFormat&validatorPingPeriod=10000&validatorPingTimeout=5000] started
      2009-03-03 15:55:43,605 TRACE [org.jboss.jms.client.delegate.ClientClusteredConnectionFactoryDelegate] (main) Adding callback
      2009-03-03 15:55:43,609 DEBUG [org.jboss.remoting.ConnectionValidator] (main) ConnectionValidator[null, pingPeriod=2000 ms] created
      2009-03-03 15:55:43,609 TRACE [org.jboss.remoting.ConnectionValidator] (main) config timeout: null
      2009-03-03 15:55:43,609 DEBUG [org.jboss.remoting.ConnectionValidator] (main) ConnectionValidator[null, pingPeriod=2000 ms] timeout: 1000
      2009-03-03 15:55:43,609 DEBUG [org.jboss.remoting.ConnectionValidator] (main) ConnectionValidator[null, pingPeriod=2000 ms] ping retries: 1
      2009-03-03 15:55:43,610 DEBUG [org.jboss.remoting.ConnectionValidator] (main) ConnectionValidator[null, pingPeriod=2000 ms] connection retries: null
      [/quote

• 1. Re: Client connection timeout
          Yong Hao Gao Master

You need 2.2.2.SP12 (yet to come i think) or you need JBoss Messaging 1.4.0_sp3-CP05 or above. Pls check out the following jira issues for details.

https://jira.jboss.org/jira/browse/JBREM-1082
          https://jira.jboss.org/jira/browse/JBMESSAGING-1482

• 2. Re: Client connection timeout
            jbabad Newbie

Thanks.

I've looked in the repository and it seems the JBM 1.4.0_SP3_CP05 is due to go in EAP 4.3 CP04 - so I'm going to give that version a try.
            In the JBM repository there's a CP05 and a CP05-brew, but the brew date is a day later - which one should I take?

Thanks again

• 3. Re: Client connection timeout
              Yong Hao Gao Master

Hi, I think you should try CP07, this one will be with EAP 4.3 CP04.

• 4. Re: Client connection timeout
                Tim Fox Master

The CP releases are for use with the EAP not the community version.

If you're running EAP fine, otherwise you should use the latest community release.

• 5. Re: Client connection timeout
                  jbabad Newbie

Thanks. We are using the EAP version.

Now I have tried the JBM 1.4.0SP3_CP7 - and replaced the jboss-messaging and jboss-messaging-client jars in the profile's lib directory (i.e. /server/messaging/lib )

Now what I'm seeing is that the second JBoss instance in the cluster is throwing out theses errors every few seconds:

13:00:52,324 ERROR [GroupMember] Caught Exception in Receiver
                  java.lang.NullPointerException
                   at java.io.ByteArrayInputStream.<init>(ByteArrayInputStream.java:89)
                   at org.jboss.messaging.core.impl.postoffice.GroupMember.readRequest(GroupMember.java:354)
                   at org.jboss.messaging.core.impl.postoffice.GroupMember.access$1400(GroupMember.java:55)
                   at org.jboss.messaging.core.impl.postoffice.GroupMember$DataReceiver.receive(GroupMember.java:581)
                   at org.jgroups.JChannel.up(JChannel.java:1101)
                   at org.jgroups.stack.ProtocolStack.up(ProtocolStack.java:382)
                   at org.jgroups.stack.ProtocolStack.receiveUpEvent(ProtocolStack.java:398)
                   at org.jgroups.stack.Protocol.passUp(Protocol.java:520)
                   at org.jgroups.protocols.pbcast.GMS.up(GMS.java:768)
                   at org.jgroups.stack.UpHandler.run(Protocol.java:60)
                  13:00:52,324 ERROR [UpHandler] UpHandler (GMS) caught exception
                  java.lang.IllegalStateException
                   at java.io.ByteArrayInputStream.<init>(ByteArrayInputStream.java:89)
                   at org.jboss.messaging.core.impl.postoffice.GroupMember.readRequest(GroupMember.java:354)
                   at org.jboss.messaging.core.impl.postoffice.GroupMember.access$1400(GroupMember.java:55)
                   at org.jboss.messaging.core.impl.postoffice.GroupMember$DataReceiver.receive(GroupMember.java:581)
                   at org.jgroups.JChannel.up(JChannel.java:1101)
                   at org.jgroups.stack.ProtocolStack.up(ProtocolStack.java:382)
                   at org.jgroups.stack.ProtocolStack.receiveUpEvent(ProtocolStack.java:398)
                   at org.jgroups.stack.Protocol.passUp(Protocol.java:520)
                   at org.jgroups.protocols.pbcast.GMS.up(GMS.java:768)
                   at org.jgroups.stack.UpHandler.run(Protocol.java:60)

Any thoughts on this one?
                  I'm going to try the CP05 patch to see if there's any difference..
                  Thanks.

• 6. Re: Client connection timeout
                    jbabad Newbie

Just to update... I've tried JBM 1.4.0SP3_CP05-brew and am seeing the same problem.
                    So, then tried to revert back to the original EAP messaging jars and STILL seeing the same problem.... I'm floundering at the moment :(