6 Replies Latest reply on Mar 6, 2009 9:34 AM by jbabad

Client connection timeout

Hi,

I've seen a few posts related to this and to JBREM-1069.
      We're running a trial version of JBoss EAP 4.3 and the JBoss Remoting patch 2.2.2SP11-brew - which is supposed to contain that fix.

We're seeing this on the client side - in the remoting-bisocket-service.xml I've increased the timeout to 5s. The RemotingConnection is showing this value, but the ConnectionValidator is showing a timeout of 1s and a ping period of 1s. How do we change these values and the number of retries? We are seeing timeouts with the client thinking that the connection has disappeared. This triggers a client failover, which times out as, in fact, the cluster is still OK.

Thanks.

2009-03-03 15:55:43,605 TRACE [org.jboss.jms.client.remoting.JMSRemotingConnection] (main) JMSRemotingConnection[bisocket://192.168.8.118:4457/?JBM_clientMaxPoolSize=200&clientLeasePeriod=15000&clientSocketClass=org.jboss.jms.client.remoting.ClientSocketWrapper&dataType=jms&marshaller=org.jboss.jms.wireformat.JMSWireFormat&numberOfCallRetries=1&numberOfRetries=10&pingFrequency=214748364&pingWindowFactor=10&socket.check_connection=false&stopLeaseOnFailure=true&timeout=5000&unmarshaller=org.jboss.jms.wireformat.JMSWireFormat&validatorPingPeriod=10000&validatorPingTimeout=5000] started
      2009-03-03 15:55:43,605 TRACE [org.jboss.jms.client.delegate.ClientClusteredConnectionFactoryDelegate] (main) Adding callback
      2009-03-03 15:55:43,609 DEBUG [org.jboss.remoting.ConnectionValidator] (main) ConnectionValidator[null, pingPeriod=2000 ms] created
      2009-03-03 15:55:43,609 TRACE [org.jboss.remoting.ConnectionValidator] (main) config timeout: null
      2009-03-03 15:55:43,609 DEBUG [org.jboss.remoting.ConnectionValidator] (main) ConnectionValidator[null, pingPeriod=2000 ms] timeout: 1000
      2009-03-03 15:55:43,609 DEBUG [org.jboss.remoting.ConnectionValidator] (main) ConnectionValidator[null, pingPeriod=2000 ms] ping retries: 1
      2009-03-03 15:55:43,610 DEBUG [org.jboss.remoting.ConnectionValidator] (main) ConnectionValidator[null, pingPeriod=2000 ms] connection retries: null
      [/quote

• 1. Re: Client connection timeout
          gaohoward

You need 2.2.2.SP12 (yet to come i think) or you need JBoss Messaging 1.4.0_sp3-CP05 or above. Pls check out the following jira issues for details.

https://jira.jboss.org/jira/browse/JBREM-1082
          https://jira.jboss.org/jira/browse/JBMESSAGING-1482

• 2. Re: Client connection timeout

Thanks.

I've looked in the repository and it seems the JBM 1.4.0_SP3_CP05 is due to go in EAP 4.3 CP04 - so I'm going to give that version a try.
            In the JBM repository there's a CP05 and a CP05-brew, but the brew date is a day later - which one should I take?

Thanks again

• 3. Re: Client connection timeout
              gaohoward

Hi, I think you should try CP07, this one will be with EAP 4.3 CP04.

• 4. Re: Client connection timeout
                timfox

The CP releases are for use with the EAP not the community version.

If you're running EAP fine, otherwise you should use the latest community release.

• 5. Re: Client connection timeout

Thanks. We are using the EAP version.

Now I have tried the JBM 1.4.0SP3_CP7 - and replaced the jboss-messaging and jboss-messaging-client jars in the profile's lib directory (i.e. /server/messaging/lib )

Now what I'm seeing is that the second JBoss instance in the cluster is throwing out theses errors every few seconds:

13:00:52,324 ERROR [GroupMember] Caught Exception in Receiver
                  java.lang.NullPointerException
                   at java.io.ByteArrayInputStream.<init>(ByteArrayInputStream.java:89)
                   at org.jboss.messaging.core.impl.postoffice.GroupMember.readRequest(GroupMember.java:354)
                   at org.jboss.messaging.core.impl.postoffice.GroupMember.access$1400(GroupMember.java:55)
                   at org.jboss.messaging.core.impl.postoffice.GroupMember$DataReceiver.receive(GroupMember.java:581)
                   at org.jgroups.JChannel.up(JChannel.java:1101)
                   at org.jgroups.stack.ProtocolStack.up(ProtocolStack.java:382)
                   at org.jgroups.stack.ProtocolStack.receiveUpEvent(ProtocolStack.java:398)
                   at org.jgroups.stack.Protocol.passUp(Protocol.java:520)
                   at org.jgroups.protocols.pbcast.GMS.up(GMS.java:768)
                   at org.jgroups.stack.UpHandler.run(Protocol.java:60)
                  13:00:52,324 ERROR [UpHandler] UpHandler (GMS) caught exception
                  java.lang.IllegalStateException
                   at java.io.ByteArrayInputStream.<init>(ByteArrayInputStream.java:89)
                   at org.jboss.messaging.core.impl.postoffice.GroupMember.readRequest(GroupMember.java:354)
                   at org.jboss.messaging.core.impl.postoffice.GroupMember.access$1400(GroupMember.java:55)
                   at org.jboss.messaging.core.impl.postoffice.GroupMember$DataReceiver.receive(GroupMember.java:581)
                   at org.jgroups.JChannel.up(JChannel.java:1101)
                   at org.jgroups.stack.ProtocolStack.up(ProtocolStack.java:382)
                   at org.jgroups.stack.ProtocolStack.receiveUpEvent(ProtocolStack.java:398)
                   at org.jgroups.stack.Protocol.passUp(Protocol.java:520)
                   at org.jgroups.protocols.pbcast.GMS.up(GMS.java:768)
                   at org.jgroups.stack.UpHandler.run(Protocol.java:60)

Any thoughts on this one?
                  I'm going to try the CP05 patch to see if there's any difference..
                  Thanks.

• 6. Re: Client connection timeout

Just to update... I've tried JBM 1.4.0SP3_CP05-brew and am seeing the same problem.
                    So, then tried to revert back to the original EAP messaging jars and STILL seeing the same problem.... I'm floundering at the moment :(