2 Replies Latest reply on Jul 28, 2009 4:48 AM by Adrian Woodhead

    JBM 2.0.0b3 CPU and memory usage compared to ActiveMQ

    Adrian Woodhead Newbie

      On Monday morning I started migrating a set of applications over to using a JBM topic for sending and receiving messages, this was previously done by ActiveMQ. I thought I would share the results of monitoring the JBM server over this time period. I realise you guys haven't done much work on the memory and cpu usage aspects of JBM yet, but this at least proves that there is definitely a case for some work to be put into this area. We have a graph of memory usage on the server for the last week here:

      http://massdosage.co.za/temp/jbm-perf1/jbm-memory-first_2days.png

      and CPU on the same server for the same time period:

      http://massdosage.co.za/temp/jbm-perf1/jbm-cpu-first_2days.png

      On Monday we switched about 6 clients over to use JBM instead of AMQ. You notice a slight increase in memory and CPU compared with ActiveMQ up until that point. On Tuesday we then switched another 10 clients over, increasing the load from tens of messages a minute to hundreds (which is still not extreme). You can then see the memory go through the roof and the swap even gets called in (the purple, something we dread in terms of performance). The CPU also goes through the roof at around the same time. The sharp drop-offs on the right of the graphs are where I restarted the server today. The CPU shoots back up very quickly, the memory seems to be taking a bit longer.

      I will keep an eye on this, just thought I'd report it here so you can keep this in mind for the future. If there is any more information I can provide you with I'm more than happy to.