5 Replies Latest reply on Oct 14, 2005 10:07 AM by marobashi

More newbie mistakes

gavin.king

It's useful, I need to go through the forum and cull a list of FAQs as soon as I get time.

• 1. Re: More newbie mistakes

I had a similar problem with the JSF jars. I had these bundled in my WAR, which then couldn't load the Seam variable resolver from the EJB3.

The best solution I have found is to place the JARs in the jboss-4.0.3/server/all/deploy/jbossweb-tomcat55.sar/jsf-libs folder. If you also edit jboss-4.0.3/server/all/deploy/jbossweb-tomcat55.sar/conf/web.xml to add more tagLibJarN initParams you can deploy shared JSTL and ADF Faces JARs here too.

<init-param>
           <description>MyFaces TLDs</description>
           <param-name>tagLibJar0</param-name>
           <param-value>jsf-libs/myfaces-impl.jar</param-value>
           </init-param>
           <init-param>
           <description>JSTL TLDs</description>
           <param-name>tagLibJar1</param-name>
           <param-value>jsf-libs/standard.jar</param-value>
           </init-param>
           <init-param>
           <description>ADF Faces TLDs</description>
           <param-name>tagLibJar2</param-name>
           <param-value>jsf-libs/adf-faces-impl-ea19.jar</param-value>
           </init-param>

So now instead of having 6MB EAR files, I have 9KB EARs with the following shared JARs in the jsf-libs folder:

adf-faces-api-ea19.jar
          adf-faces-impl-ea19.jar
          adfshare-3218.jar
          commons-beanutils.jar
          commons-codec-1.2.jar
          commons-collections.jar
          commons-digester-1.6.jar
          jboss-seam.jar
          jstl.jar
          myfaces-api.jar
          myfaces-impl.jar
          standard.jar

• 2. Re: More newbie mistakes
            gavin.king

Right; this is the best thing to do.

• 3. Re: More newbie mistakes
              marobashi

Would one of you be willing to share the build.xml file you're using in this context?

Ant is still very new to me and I'm still deciphering the build.xml files.

It seems (no pun intended) that the sample applications use two separate build files -- one in the application directory (override?) and the build.xml in the root seam directory...

Have you consolidated the two into one, or are you accomplishing this (exclusion) by modifying one of the other two xmls?

I apologize -- I realize this is more of an Ant question than a Seam question.

• 4. Re: More newbie mistakes

To compile the samples using Ant, you simply need to have Ant and JBoss installed, and the ANT_HOME and JBOSS_HOME environment variables set. Then from the sample root folder (jboss-seam-1.0beta1\examples\booking) command line type:

ant deploy

Should work fine!

I've not messed with the build.xml files. I re-built the samples using Eclipse + MyEclipse.

• 5. Re: More newbie mistakes
                  marobashi

Thanks, James.

Now it's a matter of figuring out what stupid thing I did to my own application that's making it different from the example app... :)