6 Replies Latest reply on Jan 13, 2006 1:13 AM by matthew.edwards

What JBoss IDE version is used when making the Seam document

matthew.edwards

How come in the Seam documentation there are pictures of JBoss IDE with a Page button but when I download the JBoss IDE there isn't?

What JBoss IDE version is used when making the Seam documentation?

• 1. Re: What JBoss IDE version is used when making the Seam docu
          gavin.king

Ahwell, hehe, this is kinda false advertising, since it is just from a prototype that Koen has running. Hopefully he will get time to finish that work and commit it for the next release of JBoss IDE.

• 2. Re: What JBoss IDE version is used when making the Seam docu
            matthew.edwards

So we should just do it by hand then?

I'm trying to figure this stuff out right now. I think I am starting to get it. I have some plain questions--may I ask them?

(1)Is there a difference between a page flow and a process-definition with actions? Is a page flow just a process-definition without actions?

(2) In the dvdstore demo, under db/jbpm there are dvd.*.sql files. Do I need any of these in my project to use jbpm? or are they custom to the dvdstore?

(3) How does the start-state of a process-definition first get called? Is that what Seam is taking care of (so it is like a JSF action call)?

This stuff is fun. Thanks.
            Matt.

• 3. Re: What JBoss IDE version is used when making the Seam docu
              gavin.king

Do it by hand for now, until this stuff is available. Its easy. The value of the GUI is more for visualization.

(1) A page flow can have actions if you like, or not if you like. There are really two approaches. The more JSFy way is that the actions are tied to the view, and jPDL just does navigation. The more Seamy way is that the jPDL drives the actions. Up to you. There are examples of both approaches in CVS. Look at numberguess.

(2) I actually don't know what they are for, frankly. Ask Norman :-) Hibernate can export the jBPM schema.

(3) @Begin(pageflow="numberGuess"), or @CreateProcess(definition="todo"), depending upon whether it is a page flow or a business process.

• 4. Re: What JBoss IDE version is used when making the Seam docu
                matthew.edwards

I've been struggling with the difference between a page flow and a business process. Please correct me if I am wrong.

A page flow is for single user spanning over a single conversation.

A business process is for multi-user interactions over a grander time scale.

Thanks.

• 5. Re: What JBoss IDE version is used when making the Seam docu
                  gavin.king

Right.

Non-persistent, single user.

vs.

Persistent, multi-user.

"Business process" is what people usually mean when they talk about "workflow" or "orchestration".

"Pageflow" is what they mean when they talk about "navigation".

We will be loose here, and sometimes talk about pageflow as "orchestrating a user interaction", but we'll be strict in how we use the words business process and pageflow.

• 6. Re: What JBoss IDE version is used when making the Seam docu
                    matthew.edwards

Gavin,

I just had another question.

Can I use this pageflow idea to restrict what pages a user may have access to? Say the user is logged in, but does not carry the role needed to access a special page--can I determine the user's role and restrict him before the page is sent to him (without using the built in authentication/authorization done by the server container).

I think what I am trying to do (more or less) is have an action run when a page loads instead of when a user clicks on a button to load the page. How would I do that?

:--)