1 Reply Latest reply on May 31, 2006 5:00 PM by gavin.king

possible to call outside of web app?

Is it possible (or will it eventually be possible) to invoke seam javabeans outside the scope of a web application?

I am thinking through the implementation of a progress bar where the progress is updated by a service. Currently it throws an IllegalStateException at

6:43:14,096 INFO [STDOUT] 2006-05-31 16:43:14,096 ERROR [pool-5-thread-1] impl.Log4JLogger - Error running performSplit method
      java.lang.IllegalStateException: Attempted to invoke a Seam component outside the context of a web application
       at org.jboss.seam.contexts.Lifecycle.beginCall(Lifecycle.java:59)
       at org.jboss.seam.ejb.SeamInterceptor.aroundInvoke(SeamInterceptor.java:52)
       at org.jboss.seam.interceptors.JavaBeanInterceptor.interceptInvocation(JavaBeanInterceptor.java:51)
       at org.jboss.seam.interceptors.JavaBeanInterceptor.intercept(JavaBeanInterceptor.java:39)

Why does it need to intercept the call if the caller has a direct reference to the JavaBean object? I assume its because the JavaBean needs to be pushed back into the Session somehow.

I should probably be using a Stateful session bean to accomplish this instead, or simulate the same thing posting JMS messages directly to the javascript client.