4 Replies Latest reply on Jun 22, 2007 4:36 PM by avbentem

Don't deploy a process definition when restarting

dgallego

Hi, when JBoss AS restarts Seam deployes process definitions into database, invoking installProcessDefinitions() from org.jboss.seam.core.Jbpm.

Is it really necessary? Seam should redeploy it if it has changed...
      Correct me if I'm wrong... thanks :).

• 1. Re: Don't deploy a process definition when restarting

We don't really have a mechanism to detect if the process definition has changed. In a production environment, I think you'll want to skip Seams convenience mechanism and deploy process definitions to the jbpm database manually using the jbpm tools. We don't really have any of the examples set up with production settings.

• 2. Re: Don't deploy a process definition when restarting
            gavin.king

Right, the auto-deployment stuff is really meant for development only. The Seam docs could be clearer on this point.

• 3. Re: Don't deploy a process definition when restarting
              andygrav

I came over the same problem, without create-drop in the hibernate configuration the process deployment fails saying that there is another process definition with the same version (if I remember the error message correctly).

How can you disable the "auto deployment" of process definitions (I had a look at the code and I cant see any easy way to do it other than extend Jbpm and override installProcessDefinitions() ).

What about adding a floating point version attribute to the process definition, check to see if it higher than the latest one in the db and only then deploy it. That way the autodeployment would work even in production.

It is reasonable for a process definition to have a version number to identify it and not just a private one automatically assigned by jbpm.

Andy Bailey
              www.hazlorealidad.com

• 4. Re: Don't deploy a process definition when restarting

Just for the archives: as for documenting this issue see JBSEAM-1034.