Just wondering, why don't you remove the .java files from "ui" directory (not the directory itself, since it is somehow required in the ant tasks). After all, all the classes required to run your projects (those related to ui management) are already included in the jboss-seam-ui.jar file.
I hope this may be useful to you, and please let me know if it works for you. I was having trouble with the ant "compile" task (unable to locate JSF files), and deleting the "ui" source files worked for me, since the projects doesn't need the "debug" and "ui" classes to run, just to compile.
Call me old-fashioned, but when I go to build a project, I expect it to build without errors, and don't like the thought of ripping stuff out of it to get it to work. After all, JBoss is all about professionalopen source. Climbing down off my soapbox now... I, of course, reserve the right to have goofed something up, not realized it, and look stupid (as always ;-)
To get the project to build properly, I downloaded and added the JGroup project http://www.jgroups.org/javagroupsnew/docs/index.html to my libs. Then, I had to change line 126 of org.jboss.seam.util.Conversions.java from this:
public static class ArrayConverter implements Converterto this:
public static class ArrayConverter implements Converter<Object>
and now everything is fine. I'd submit a patch but seems pretty overkill to add 8 chars to a file (and I'm not sure I just didn't do something dumb).
I would suggest using a stable released version e.g. 1.0.1.GA if you want something that 'just works'. If you want something a bit more cutting edge you could try using 1.1.BETA1
There's a difference between expecting a project to "just work" and expecting it to "just build". I don't always expect the head to have completely working functionality--but I do expect it to at least build properly. Certainly there can be short term gaffs, but they should be promptly repaired. At least that was the expectation on the last open source project I contributed to.
It builds fine -- just not on eclipse. I don't think the eclipse project file gets updated as often, since when I import the project, it still has dependencies on old library versions (myfaces-1.1.3 instead of 1.1.4, jbpm-3.1.1 instead of 3.1.2, etc). Blame eclipse for not supporting wildcard patterns in its build system like ant does (that's got to be the first time I've actually defended ant).
I'd say it's worth opening a bug. Hell, I've opened a bug on a one-character typo.
I have fixed the eclipsy stuff in CVS. I don't usually commit that stuff, I didn't put it there, and I don't really agree fully with it being there....