6 Replies Latest reply on Nov 8, 2006 10:51 AM by gavin.king

Frameset & Seam

bluetrade

Hi,
      I have a frameset and I would like to "define" the lower frame on the fly, so I have in my template

<frameset rows="45,*" frameborder="NO" border="0" framespacing="0">
       <frame src="top.seam" noresize="-1" name="top" scrolling="NO"/>
       <frame src="lower.seam" name="main"/>
      </frameset>

however, If I use the "target" in links, still the whole page gets reloaded, not only the lower frame, so it breaks the frameset... could you point me to an example of where frames are used with Seam?

Thanks, Joey

• 1. Re: Frameset & Seam
          pmuir

Which type of links are you using? h:commandLink?

• 2. Re: Frameset & Seam
            diablo341

I'm designing a new app and I want to know if it's a good idea to use frames with Seam/MyFaces/Facelets? In our j2ee 1.4 apps, we've always had a header frame with the menu, a content frame, and a footer frame with copyright info. Will this work with Seam or should I wrap my components with tags and have an AJAX approach to render specific 's only. (not that I'm comfortable with this concept yet...)

John

• 3. Re: Frameset & Seam
              diablo341

Sorry, I should've disabled HTML... the sentence should read:

Will this work with Seam or should I wrap my components with div tags and have an AJAX approach to render specific div's only. (not that I'm comfortable with this concept yet...)

• 4. Re: Frameset & Seam

Framesets are highly troublesome in JSF in general: there's no easy way for a postback to force rerendering of the whole frameset. Nor can you effectively submit two frames at once. This is actually a problem with framesets in general, not just JSF.

Facelets makes composing templates really easy. The booking example does exactly what you mentioned -- a menu on top, a blurb at bottom (and a sidebar to the left). It uses facelets to do this, and Ajax4FSF for partial page refresh for the search area. It looks even simpler than Prototype to use -- no javascript at all.

• 5. Re: Frameset & Seam
                  diablo341

So that's why I saw the <a:commandButton> tag! ;)

• 6. Re: Frameset & Seam
                    gavin.king

Frames are very oldfashioned, I don't see any big websites using frames today.