10 Replies Latest reply on Nov 22, 2006 6:34 PM by neoko

jBPM and tasks

neoko

Hi, i'm new to JBoss Seam and have some doubts. I don't understand the concept of task inside a business process. Is it like the concept of conversation and because of that has its own stateful ejb which manages the conversation?

I am really impressed with this framework! Awesome!

Thanks for your attention.

• 1. Re: jBPM and tasks
          gavin.king

Yes, speaking loosly, a task is a conversation that relates to a business process.

• 2. Re: jBPM and tasks
            neoko

Woo! Incredibly fast! Thanks Gavin, i appreciate this reply from the Seam developer!

So, another question if possible. How do i refer to the Seam component which manages the conversation inside the xml file which describes the business process? Is this name the one which is given to the component with the @Name annotation?

:)

• 3. Re: jBPM and tasks
              gavin.king

Yep, Seam lets you use exactly the same method and value bindings inside the jBPM process or pageflow definition that you use inside a JSF page. This is really cool, if I don't say so myself ;-)

• 4. Re: jBPM and tasks
                neoko

This is the coolest!

Finally a question tipical from a beginner. Is it posible to change the xml file of the business process without deploying again the entire application or the changes have to be made in the file and then pack and re-deploy the application?

I am interested in users who can orchestrate their own flow of services in their particular order, save this and after, these same users will log in and consume these services in the order they were ordered. Is this only a product of my mind? B-)

Thanks a lot!!

• 5. Re: jBPM and tasks
                  gavin.king

Yes, its possible. jBPM stores process definitions in the database, they do not need to be deployed with the application.

• 6. Re: jBPM and tasks
                    neoko

A new question in this topic, please.
                    Is a task able to store a pageflow inside it?
                    I would like to display different sets of pages according to the task where you are working in.
                    thanks for your time.

• 7. Re: jBPM and tasks
                      gavin.king

I don't follow.

• 8. Re: jBPM and tasks
                        neoko

Sorry for my english, i think i've found out something related in page 92 of the documentation. But i think there's a mistake there. It says:
                        It is perfectly possible that we might have both jPDL business process definitions and jPDL pageflow definitions
                        in the same project.
                        If so, the relationship between the two is that a single task> in a business process corresponds to a whole pageflow <process-definition>

Won't it be the last word <pageflow-definition> instead of <process-definition>

So, rephrasing my last post, can a task execute a pageflow an render the pages that belong to that pageflow?

P.S.:Don't know kwy but phBB doesn't allow me to write task between angled brackets.Weird!

• 9. Re: jBPM and tasks
                          pmuir

Yes, you can start a task and a pageflow at the same time

@BeginTask(pageflow="...")
                          public void beginTask() {
                          }

You might be able to do this with s:link as well.

If you want to write code in the forum you need to use [ code ] tags.

• 10. Re: jBPM and tasks
                            neoko

thanks petemuir! :)