3 Replies Latest reply on Dec 8, 2006 4:00 AM by cdanielw

Server side state saving - current status?

cdanielw

The reference manual says you shouldn't use server side state saving with MyFaces.

If you are using Seam in Apache MyFaces (and possibly some other JSF implementations), you must use client-side state saving.

However, it seems like people had some success with it:
      http://www.jboss.com/index.html?module=bb&op=viewtopic&t=93767
      http://www.jboss.com/index.html?module=bb&op=viewtopic&t=93780

I'm just starting out with Seam and have an application that needs to be accessed from developing countries. As it turns out with client side state saving, the pages end up on around 300K, which would be completely unacceptable.

I?ve switched to server side and things _seem_ to work fine. However, what?s the ?official? answer to this ? is client side still the only supported mode, but server side might work? Is full support for server side state saving on the road map?

(If I understand it correctly, it?s an issue with MyFaces server side state saving which is/was main issue ? so not the fault of you Seam guys?)

I?m running Seam 1.1-CR2, a recent MyFaces 1.5 nightly, Facelets 1.1.11, ajax4jsf-rc4 and Hibernate 3.2.1 under Tomcat 5.5.x.

Cheers,
      Daniel

• 1. Re: Server side state saving - current status?

We've been developing on Seam for 3-4 months now. Initially, we used client-side state since server-side was definitely broken (by whom, I don't know, but it was broken!). We developed a ton of functionality and client-side state was working great for us but we knew we'd have to switch to server side at some point.

About a month ago, we upgraded Seam (it was Beta 2 at the time) and switched to facelets 1.1.11. We tried out server-side state. Everything was still working just fine. Other than web.xml STATE_SAVING_METHOD, we did not have to change anything! I think you'll find similar answers from other users. As far as I'm concerned, server-side state works just fine!

• 2. Re: Server side state saving - current status?
            gavin.king

I recently updated the documentation, since it seems that server side state saving is working much better in recent releases of JSF implementations. I can't promise no bugs, but I'm not aware of any known bugs.

• 3. Re: Server side state saving - current status?
              cdanielw

I'll sleep better at night now

Thanks!
              Daniel