6 Replies Latest reply on Jan 18, 2007 11:31 AM by vk101

pages.xml and pageflow.jpdl.xml

What's the difference between these two files, I can't figure it out. When would you use one versus the other?

• 1. Re: pages.xml and pageflow.jpdl.xml
          pmuir

.jpdl.xml describe (jBPM based) pageflows. pages.xml affects many of the Seam view-related features (e.g. action method run on page load, description for conversation list, param passing over redirect) - take a look at the reference manual :)

• 2. Re: pages.xml and pageflow.jpdl.xml

What's the difference between putting @RequestParameter in a session bean and putting the param tag in pages.xml?

When I put the param tag in pages.xml for a given page, why does the attribute show up the first time as attributeName=0 rather than no attribute? I understand that 0 is the value of the EL in the param tag, but how can I get it to ignore that when it's 0 or null? (I'm using s:link for the link to the page referenced in pages.xml. Before I even go to that page, the link rendered to that page contains pageName.seam?attributeName=0)

• 3. Re: pages.xml and pageflow.jpdl.xml
              pmuir

"lightbulb432" wrote:
              What's the difference between putting @RequestParameter in a session bean and putting the param tag in pages.xml?

Just different ways of achieving the same thing - the pages.xml method is more recent than @RequestParameter and often gives a cleaner design.

• 4. Re: pages.xml and pageflow.jpdl.xml

Should I be using s:link in this case? Or would outputLink or commandLink be more appropriate?

When would you choose s:link over one of the other options?

• 5. Re: pages.xml and pageflow.jpdl.xml
                  pmuir

You have to use command{Link,Button} when you want to submit the form. outputLink is useful for rendering a link to something outside of your web app. s:{link,button} I often use for navigation.

• 6. Re: pages.xml and pageflow.jpdl.xml

When would you use s:link over commandButton for navigation? What extra functionality does it offer that makes it more useful here?

It doesn't sound like there's any strong requirement to use it...but I'm sure there was a reason for creating it in the first place...