4 Replies Latest reply on Jan 20, 2007 12:50 PM by svadu

Conversation and session timeout

Hi all,

Just got a short question: is there a reason why conversation timeout doesn't default to session timeout but instead has it's own proprietary setting?

• 1. Re: Conversation and session timeout
          gavin.king

Well, besides anything else, there is no way to "discover" the session timeout...

• 2. Re: Conversation and session timeout

Hi Gavin,

Thanks for the quick reply. Do you think think HttpSession.getMaxInactiveInterval() might be an option? The description of it says: "Returns the maximum time interval, in seconds, that the servlet container will keep this session open between client accesses."

• 3. Re: Conversation and session timeout
              gavin.king

oh, I never noticed that one before! Nice.

Anyway, my guess is that normally you want the conversation timeout to be shorter than the session timeout.

• 4. Re: Conversation and session timeout

"gavin.king@jboss.com" wrote:
                oh, I never noticed that one before! Nice.

Anyway, my guess is that normally you want the conversation timeout to be shorter than the session timeout.

Normally I agree. But recently I had to create a page with 4 different forms each of those uses ajax4jsf to operate with lists and images. And then if you leave the ui 'untouched' for 120 seconds (I know I can set it longer) and then trying to do something again I get the conversation timeout message.

Then I though that would it be nice to have the conversation 'mapped' to the session timeout (which is a bit longer anyway) unless a config (which already exists) is provided to override the setting. It might add kinda 'sensible default' (love this expression :) )... What do you think?