things you can try:
(1) search your entire project for the key words "home.jsf" or "home.xhtml"
(2) try removing or commenting <welcome-file-list>
Try inspecting the actual HTTP request. What is coming back? Is the HTML coming back as you expect? If it isn't, check that your updated application is deployed correctly. (you might even clean out the tomcat cache in server/default/work)
After I tried all things you comment here, I was geeting the same error.
But, 4 hours later I tried to enter the same URL using Internet Explorer. And it works like a charm.
Then I understood that the problem was the FireFox cache. Because the first time I deployed the application index.html redirects to home.seam, and I accessed with FireFox, I think FF caches it, then when I change the index.html in order to redirect to login.jsf even cleaning tomcat directories FF was always returning the first cached index.html (even refreshing the browser F5).
So, I clean the FF cache and it is working well.
Thanks for the help.