4 Replies Latest reply on Feb 15, 2007 10:12 AM by mugwump

Remoting -> Progress Indicator?!

mugwump

We are transporting quite a lot of load with remoting, so it takes a serious amount of time to finish the remote-call on slow lines. We are currently just showing a progress-animation, but this gives no indication, how much was downloaded (and if there is happening anything at all).

Is there a way to setup a progress indicator, e.g to show the number of loaded members of a collection against the whole collection?

I do not assume, that Seam does some kind of "streaming" parsing on the client, it just waits till the results come back and then starts parsing it - so I currently do not see any other way then splitting up the results in too smaller chunks, that can be tracked... Has anybody already done that and can share some experience?!

• 1. Re: Remoting -> Progress Indicator?!
          shane.bryzak

Have you looked at the progressbar example? It updates a progress bar control based on the progress of a long-running action.

• 2. Re: Remoting -> Progress Indicator?!
            mugwump

hmm, yes, that is almost what I need - apart from the fact, that there is nothing on the server, that can be monitored: It's the data that takes reasonable time to download: I guess I'll have to break down the collection I download into chunks and load them in these smaller pieces - I can then show a progresbar based on the number of chunks already downloaded vs. the whole number of chunks.

I'm not sure, if anybody else has these problems (loading bigger sets of data via remoting), then it would maybe make sense to generalize this approach...

• 3. Re: Remoting -> Progress Indicator?!
              shane.bryzak

Ok I see what you mean now. I need to implement a similar thing for the fileUpload control, so when I work out how to do that then a remoting progress updater should be trivial. Post a JIRA issue for this if you don't want me to forget about it :)

• 4. Re: Remoting -> Progress Indicator?!
                mugwump

that sounds great for me- I'll make you a quick jira-reminder:)