8 Replies Latest reply on Mar 24, 2007 4:52 PM by gavin.king

Compliance of the EAR of the booking demo?

Hi all,

Is there a reason for application.xml in the booking demo ear to declare el-api.jar and el-ri.jar as client modules? Because those 2 jar's aren't actually client modules and they don't have a main-class entry in theirs MANIFEST.MF I am not sure if it doesn't violate the jee spec? Or is this just a JBoss specific configuration until JBoss 5 is released? Can anybody comment on this?

Thanks in advance.

• 1. Re: Compliance of the EAR of the booking demo?

It's an ugly, ugly hack to get JARs on the classpath of an EAR. The only reason to tolerate it is that doing it in the "correct" way is even uglier.

• 2. Re: Compliance of the EAR of the booking demo?

Thanks.

The reason I am writing this is that I am trying to make the demo to run on SAP Netweaver JEE5 edition and it complains that the deployment unit does not correspond to the spec...

• 3. Re: Compliance of the EAR of the booking demo?
              gavin.king

Note that in a "real" Java EE 5 environment there is an elegant way to do this. But JBoss 4.0.x is not a real Java EE 5 environment.

I *think* that JBoss 4.2 supports the Java EE 5 way of doing this, I need to remember to try it out when we migrate to JBoss 4.2 in Seam 1.3.

• 4. Re: Compliance of the EAR of the booking demo?
                gavin.king

The reason I am writing this is that I am trying to make the demo to run on SAP Netweaver JEE5 edition and it complains that the deployment unit does not correspond to the spec...

The other way to do it is to declare the jars in META-INF/manifest.mf. This is the Java EE 1.4 spec-compliant way.

• 5. Re: Compliance of the EAR of the booking demo?

Can we create a JIRA issue for traceability?

• 6. Re: Compliance of the EAR of the booking demo?
                    gavin.king

If you insist :)

• 7. Re: Compliance of the EAR of the booking demo?
                      christian.bauer

Do not forget that this is completely broken too:

- you need a space separated list of values on an entry named "Class-Path:" in your WAR and EJB-JAR META-INF/MANIFEST.MF, with all the JARs these need

- you need to have a newline character after that line

- you need to have _some_ content in the line following this line, otherwise it is, at least in the J2EE 1.4 compatible JBoss AS 4.0, completely ignored

This last one did cost me one day. However, after treating a Seam application like that, it works just as well as with the Java client JAR list in application.xml. I thought it would be faster to deploy because the EJB3Deployer would not scan the MANIFEST.MF entries (it scans the Java modules of the EAR), but there was some new cryptic INFO message showing up after that indicating that is doing something special now to scan - which took just as long.

This is all a complete nightmare. Here is hope that we'll get the promised EAR/lib/ soon. Or better, can deploy everything in a WAR structure, EJBs and all.

• 8. Re: Compliance of the EAR of the booking demo?
                        gavin.king

Yes, the longterm solution to this (read Java EE 6) is that EJB components will be deployable in WEB-INF/lib or WEB-INF/classes. It seems we've managed to convince Sun on this one, but it will take time to get it in the specs.