9 Replies Latest reply on Apr 16, 2007 1:43 PM by hasc

Questions on resourceBundle

hasc

Hi,

can someone explain me how to access recource bundle from within the application or give me an appropriate link where it is explained?

I couldn't find a complete example here in the forum or in the seam documentation.

I knpow that in components.xml i can define recource bundles but i dont know how to access one from the application.

do i need to import from java.Util or org.jboss.seam.core?
      how to i load a message from a bundle-name within the application?

Thanks for help,
      hasc

• 1. Re: Questions on resourceBundle
          monkeyden

13.2.2. Displaying labels

Just do this:

//Inject the resource bundle, assuming you have a file called
          //messages_en.properties, with your default locale replacing "en"

@In private Map<String, String> messages;

//Pull the message out of the bundle
          @In("#{messages['Hello']}")
          private String helloMessage;

• 2. Re: Questions on resourceBundle
            hasc

OK this is exactly from the seam docu.

but what i want is loading a specific resource bundle within the application. and then accessing a key within a method. and i want to do all that in a Converters getAsObject method.

so i'd like to have a specific bundle for error messages and i want to access that.

my question is how to access a special bundle lets say "MyBundle" registered in components.xml via

<component name="org.jboss.seam.core.resourceBundle">
             <property name="bundleNames">
             <value>MyBundle</value>
             </property>
            </component>

or if its not possible to load MyBundle from a Converter how can I load the messages.properties?

• 3. Re: Questions on resourceBundle
              hasc

so far i' ve tried the following:

in faces-config.xml:

<application>
               <locale-config>
               <default-locale>de</default-locale>
               <supported-locale>de</supported-locale>
               <supported-locale>en</supported-locale>
               <supported-locale>fr</supported-locale>
               </locale-config>
               <message-bundle>messages</message-bundle>
              </application>

in the *.ear i have the files messages.properties, messages_en.properties, messages_fr.properties, messages_de.properties in the directory WEB-INF/classes

in the getAsObject() Method of the CustomConverter i throw an Exception:
               FacesMessage message = MessageFactory.getMessage(FacesMessage.SEVERITY_ERROR, "AreaConverterPositiveNumber");
               throw new ConverterException(message);

and the MessageFactory class is the following:

public class MessageFactory {

public static FacesMessage getMessage(FacesMessage.Severity severity, String id) {
               String summary = "???" + id + "???";
               String detail = null;

FacesContext context = FacesContext.getCurrentInstance();
               String name = context.getApplication().getMessageBundle();
               Locale locale = context.getViewRoot().getLocale();
               ResourceBundle bundle = ResourceBundle.getBundle(name, locale);
               summary = bundle.getString(id);
               detail = bundle.getString(id + "Detail");

return new FacesMessage(severity, summary, detail);
               }
              }

i get the following error message:

2007-04-16 17:53:48,828 ERROR [STDERR] 16.04.2007 17:53:48 com.sun.faces.lifecycle.ProcessValidationsPhase execute
              WARNUNG: Can't find bundle for base name messages, locale de
              java.util.MissingResourceException: Can't find bundle for base name messages, locale de
               at java.util.ResourceBundle.throwMissingResourceException(ResourceBundle.java:836)
               at java.util.ResourceBundle.getBundleImpl(ResourceBundle.java:805)
               at java.util.ResourceBundle.getBundle(ResourceBundle.java:576)
               at gmp.webapp.converter.MessageFactory.getMessage(MessageFactory.java:18)
               at gmp.webapp.converter.AreaConverter.getAsObject(AreaConverter.java:90)
               at com.sun.faces.renderkit.html_basic.HtmlBasicInputRenderer.getConvertedValue(HtmlBasicInputRenderer.java:188)
               at javax.faces.component.UIInput.getConvertedValue(UIInput.java:943)

Would be great if someone could help me with that.

• 4. Re: Questions on resourceBundle
                fernando_jmt

So, I think the MessageFactory class you have is not needed. You can use Seam org.jboss.seam.core.FacesMessages class instead.

Below you can see an example I have:

@Name("converters")
                public class Converters {

@Transactional
                 public Converter getRoleConverter() {
                 return new Converter() {

@Transactional
                 public Object getAsObject(FacesContext facesContext, UIComponent uiComponent, String string) throws ConverterException {
                 Role role = ((EntityManager) Component.getInstance("entityManager")).find(Role.class, string);
                 if (role != null)
                 return role;
                 else {
                 FacesMessage message = FacesMessages.createFacesMessage(FacesMessage.SEVERITY_ERROR, "Common.error.selected_NotFound", null, "");
                 throw new ConverterException(message);
                 }
                 }

public String getAsString(FacesContext facesContext, UIComponent uiComponent, Object object) throws ConverterException {
                 return ((Role) object).getName();
                 }
                 };
                 }

}

Common.error.selected_NotFound is a key in the messages.properties.

HTH.

• 5. Re: Questions on resourceBundle
                  hasc

thanks for help but this seems to work only if i define the error message in messages.properties

if i define a internationalized message in message_XY.properties it is not read and if i delete the message from message.properties i get a NullPointerException

if someone could explain me the reason why i get this java.util.MissingResourceException that would be great.

regards

• 6. Re: Questions on resourceBundle
                    monkeyden

Though I only use the default messages file, I might try:

@In private Map<String, String> MyBundle;

I would also assume Seam just uses the bundle name:

<value>MyBundle</value>
                    to find a file named MyBundle_de.properties.

• 7. Re: Questions on resourceBundle
                      hasc

Yeah but since it is a converter i would appreciate not to inject anything. It would be great to just get the bundle loaded like its explained in various tutorials.

i just have no clue why this doesnt work here.

• 8. Re: Questions on resourceBundle
                        monkeyden

Ah, sorry, didn't see that it was a converter. What it sounds like you're asking is how to use a file other than "messages.properties"in JSF. Are you using the default bundle or not Because here you're not even telling JSF about "MyBundle". You're still using "messages".

<application>
                         <locale-config>
                         <default-locale>de</default-locale>
                         <supported-locale>de</supported-locale>
                         <supported-locale>en</supported-locale>
                         <supported-locale>fr</supported-locale>
                         </locale-config>
                         <message-bundle>messages</message-bundle>
                        </application>

Where does the converter live by the way (.ear or .war)? I had a problem getting a TabChangeListener to work when it was in the EJB context.

• 9. Re: Questions on resourceBundle
                          hasc

thanks monkedan for your help.

yeah after my several posts i myade this more and more confusing.

initially i wanted to load a custom bundle like MyBundle located in /WEB-INF/classes. Then i tried to load the default messages bundle but that caused the NullPointerException

What i think that i understood so far:

In faces-config i defined a <message-bundle>messages</message-bundle> but i always got the NullPointerException. Now i modified the build.xml and copied the messages_XY.properties in the .jar package. now the bundle is found and a message is returned.

I was expecting that it uses the files from /WEB-INF/classes directory but that seems to be wrong.

But if i understood right, i can overwrite the built-in errormessages by adapting the messages.properties file in /WEb-INF/classes. What means that the standard converters retrieve the messages from this file.

I inspected the source code of the MessageFactory.class from the jsf-api and it looks similar to mine.

so that keeps me a little bit confused... but maybe im sitting in front of the screen for too long today...

regards,
                          hasc