2 Replies Latest reply on Jun 14, 2007 12:19 PM by norman.richards

Why limiting SEAM to Web Applications?

de54hsa

Hi there,

I monitored the subject SEAM and related issues since beginning of this year. I like the concepts but the implementation is limited to web services (if I understand it well). For our development work, this is a major pitfall.

We are developing rich clients using Swing due to requirements and historic reasons. We are locking to improve our development and framework environment. It would help us if SEAM could also work with traditional fat client concepts.

Can someone give me answers about the questions?:

? Is SEAM really limited to web services/ application?
      ? Why, is this the case?
      ? Did someone thing about to transpose it to SWING or SWT based clients?
      ? What is/are the reason/s not to do it?

From a theoretical and architecture viewpoint, I do not see any showstopper that it should not work. It looks like that the new CRUD features of Netbeans Matisse use similar constructs.

• 1. Re: Why limiting SEAM to Web Applications?
          stu2

Nothing in seam limits its use to web clients, though obviously a large amount of effort has been put into making JSF development smoother. A swing client can access a seam backend via EJBs remotely (right? I don't think you'd get conversational support though that's less important anyway with a stateful client). You can also use the webservice capabilities of JEE 1.5. Simplifying this is a major focus of current seam development in fact.

• 2. Re: Why limiting SEAM to Web Applications?

There's certainly no reason that Seam has to be limited to web application development. We've even talked some about using it in Swing applications. However, I don't think anyone sees it as a huge priority right now. I'm sure we'd welcome contributions from anyone who wants to use Seam outside of web applications.