2 Replies Latest reply on Jul 11, 2007 12:45 PM by tcavaleiro

Web Application Deployment (JSF [with Seam] + EJB3 [with Sea

tcavaleiro

Hi there,

Me and my colleague, we're making a project for school using the J2EE, that uses the 3 tier concept for developing applications.

So when we start off we searched over and we find JBoss Seam and some crazy features like removing the XML descriptors for almost everything (there are some places that makes sense the use of XML).

We've read some books and started a project, using the seam-gen, etc.. But I've not seeing yet none of examples using "separate deployment".

The doubt is:
      "how can we deploy a JSF project that communicates with the EJB3 that exists on another tier". Or in other way, making a separate deployment for EJB3 and another deployment for JSF, is that possible? Is there any configuration changes needed?

Thanks a lot!

Another thing, it's possible (not read much about it.. so if someone can abbreviate the time reading :) ) to interact with ajax4jsf in some way, using javascript hand made or jboss seam remoting, that we can refresh some part of the page (rerender an outputPanel).

Thanks one more time.

Tiago Cavaleiro.

• 1. Re: Web Application Deployment (JSF [with Seam] + EJB3 [with
          pmuir

"tcavaleiro" wrote:
          The doubt is:
          "how can we deploy a JSF project that communicates with the EJB3 that exists on another tier". Or in other way, making a separate deployment for EJB3 and another deployment for JSF, is that possible? Is there any configuration changes needed?

For most apps Seam makes tiered development unnecessary (in our opinion at least), so you aren't going to find many examples of it. But you can still do it. Just declare your EJBs as normal, and inject them using @EJB into your Seam (EJB) components as needed (or use whatever method you like to get hold of the EJBs). It's tricker to get the SMPC working here, but you can. You should be able to declare multiple ejb modules in your application.xml if you want to package your ejbs seperate from your seam components

Another thing, it's possible (not read much about it.. so if someone can abbreviate the time reading :) ) to interact with ajax4jsf in some way, using javascript hand made or jboss seam remoting, that we can refresh some part of the page (rerender an outputPanel).

I believe that ajax4jsf offers this ootb - take a look at the ajax4jsf docs and the booking example.

• 2. Re: Web Application Deployment (JSF [with Seam] + EJB3 [with
            tcavaleiro

Thanks!

The reason for the dissociation (in three tiers) is that we are gone be evaluated separated. Is like two projects that connect each other.

You may say "ok, use jsf backing beans", but seam rulez :) (XML hand-writing not)

I'm gonna see what @EJB brings and so on.

For the second doubt:
            I definitely need to read the docs and search more for the subject.

Regards,
            Tiago Cavaleiro