11 Replies Latest reply on Sep 18, 2007 7:53 PM by Wolfgang Schwendt

    Reccomend me a SEAM book

    harpritt k Novice

      I have the JBOSS SEAM Book by Huete but it doesnt seem to be detailed enough....

      any others that you guys like?

        • 1. Re: Reccomend me a SEAM book
          Fumihiko Sugiyama Newbie

          This book seems to be published soon.
          http://www.apress.com/book/bookDisplay.html?bID=10299

          But I can't find the index of this book.
          And I don't know which seam version it is based on and how practical it is.

          I hope that Gavin will write a seam book("Seam in Action"?) for us in the near future.

          • 2. Re: Reccomend me a SEAM book
            Markus Jais Newbie

            as the other books are smaller (AFAIK), they are probably not more detailed.

            there will be a German book in November (don't know if you can read German):

            http://www.amazon.de/JBoss-Seam-Bernd-M%C3%BCller/dp/3446411909/ref=pd_bbs_sr_3/028-4333342-3818120?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1184743651&sr=8-3

            don't know anything about it. I have a JSF book by the author and it is quite good,
            but also not very detailed.

            Markus

            • 3. Re: Reccomend me a SEAM book
              thatrichard Newbie

              I recommend "Java Persistence with Hibernate" (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/1932394885/hiberthejavao-20)

              Although this is a Hibernate book, the "Introducing Seam" chapter is about 70 pages long and which gives some pretty detailed information.

              I've also got the Heute book and "Beginning JBoss Seam" ( http://www.amazon.com/Beginning-JBoss%C2%AE-Seam-Novice-Professional/dp/1590597923/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1/105-3651306-9198849?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1184754581&sr=1-1)

              Somewhat frustratingly, each of these books and also the Seam documentation, contains vital information, but I have not found any to be an ideal reference.

              • 4. Re: Reccomend me a SEAM book
                Ning Zhao Apprentice

                I read Michael Yuan + Thomas Heute's Seam book, it's pretty good but information in that book needs to be updated since Seam is under drastic change. Most of the time, I find Seam reference manual pretty sufficient. I open the reference in a single html and global search is then much easier. If the reference doc does not answer all my questions or my usage of some Seam features turned very exotic, I resorted to this forum and always got informative replies. (If only the search function of the forum could be more usable) Sometimes, if you are stuck by some really strange behaviours of the framework and want to know what's happening under the hood, source code of Seam is the best answer. That's why some people do Seam cvs update everyday to fetch the latest source code, even thought they are not official Seam developers. If Seam source code alone does not help, you might want the source code of some 3rd party libs, for example, hibernate, javassist,....even the source code of jdk. If the source code of jdk still does not help you find the root of your problem, you might want to look at the "native code" of your OS.

                • 5. Re: Reccomend me a SEAM book
                  harpritt k Novice

                  Cheers for the replies

                  Michael Yuan + Thomas Heute's Seam book is the one i currently have..... great book to start off with but lacks the detail im after now.

                  • 6. Re: Reccomend me a SEAM book
                    Jim Farley Newbie

                    Practical JBoss Seam (APress) covers Seam 1.2.1.

                    What details are you looking for, specifically?

                    • 7. Re: Reccomend me a SEAM book
                      harpritt k Novice

                      hi ya Jim

                      and everyone else... ive decided to wait for the seam 2 books before i buy my next one.

                      • 8. Re: Reccomend me a SEAM book
                        Dan Allen Master

                         

                        @Stateful
                        @Name("Seam in Action")
                        public class SeamBook extends Book {
                        
                         @Out(required = false)
                         private String author;
                        
                         @Out(required = false)
                         private String publisher;
                        
                         public String showMeTheAuthor() {
                         author = "Dan Allen";
                         return "/bookInfo.xhtml";
                         }
                        
                         public String showMeThePublisher() {
                         publisher = "Manning Publications";
                         return "/bookInfo.xhtml";
                         }
                        
                        }


                        Today I just made the announcement on my blog ( http://www.mojavelinux.com/blog/archives/2007/09/announcing_seam_in_action) about Seam in Action, which I am authoring. The book will cover the upcoming Seam 2.0 release (and perhaps a later version depending on the timing). I explain in my post that if the stars align, the printed book will be available for JavaOne 2008, but that you can get at several of the chapters very soon through Manning's early access program.

                        I wish I were a miracle worker and could write the book in 0 days, but the reality is that I cannot write at warp speed. Hell, writing is the easy part. Making pretty pictures can eat up the better part of a weekend. Fortunately, Seam makes the code really easy to write, but even that takes design time. All complaining aside, I am confident that it is going to be a great book.

                        • 9. Re: Reccomend me a SEAM book
                          Dan Allen Master

                           

                          "ellenzhao" wrote:
                          I read Michael Yuan + Thomas Heute's Seam book, it's pretty good but information in that book needs to be updated since Seam is under drastic change. Most of the time, I find Seam reference manual pretty sufficient. I open the reference in a single html and global search is then much easier. If the reference doc does not answer all my questions or my usage of some Seam features turned very exotic, I resorted to this forum and always got informative replies. (If only the search function of the forum could be more usable) Sometimes, if you are stuck by some really strange behaviours of the framework and want to know what's happening under the hood, source code of Seam is the best answer. That's why some people do Seam cvs update everyday to fetch the latest source code, even thought they are not official Seam developers. If Seam source code alone does not help, you might want the source code of some 3rd party libs, for example, hibernate, javassist,....even the source code of jdk. If the source code of jdk still does not help you find the root of your problem, you might want to look at the "native code" of your OS.


                          I couldn't have said it better myself. I have spent countless hours in the Seam source code. Hopefully I can save people time by bringing what I have learned to the book. I feel that the reference documentation needs to be as concise as possible, whereas a book can give more of a back story and use case. Regardless, the reference documentation is always open on my desktop.

                          As for the forum search limitations, Amen. I am praying that eventually this forum is moved to something powered by Seam and Hibernate Search. Could you imagine how quickly you can find issues then?

                          • 10. Re: Reccomend me a SEAM book
                            Pete Muir Master

                             

                            "dan.j.allen" wrote:
                            As for the forum search limitations, Amen. I am praying that eventually this forum is moved to something powered by Seam and Hibernate Search. Could you imagine how quickly you can find issues then?


                            As you say - it takes time - Christian is working away at this very hard :)

                            • 11. Re: Reccomend me a SEAM book
                              Wolfgang Schwendt Newbie

                               

                              "pete.muir@jboss.org" wrote:
                              As you say - it takes time - Christian is working away at this very hard :)


                              but once the Seam-based forum is ready, please keep this old forum as an archive.

                              Otherwise all bookmarks to threads of this old forum become invalid.