1. Edit the resources/WEB-INF/web.xml file, and remove the MyFaces listener.
2. Edit the resources/META-INF/application.xml file, and remove the modules referencing el-api.jar and el-ri.jar.
3. Remove the el-api.jar and el-ri.jar files from the final application archive (edit the build.xml file for the ear or war tasks).
4. Edit the resources/WEB-INF/faces-config.xml file and add the SeamELResolver using the new JSF 1.2 XML schema declaration.
Do NOT miss the crucial step of removing el-*.jar from both the application and from the application.xml.
The same instructions apply to AS 4.2.1.
Hi jcg3 and all,
No I am not trying to make my app run with JSF RI. My app is currently running well under JBoss 4.0.5GA and Seam 1.2.1GA.
I've just installed JBoss 4.2.1GA and I need to configure Seam 1.2.1GA to run under it (or may be I don't need to!). With just JBoss 4.2.1 and an usual deployment of my app, I am running into this exception:
Caused by: java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: org/apache/commons/digester/Digester
In 4.0.5GA, this jar lives under jboss-4.0.5.GA\server\default\deploy\jbossweb-tomcat55.sar. I remember having to go through an exercise to copy this jar from Seam to this directory. However, with JBoss 4.2.1 this directory simply does not exist.
The thing with setup is that it's usually a one time thing and I did it and forgot about it. Until migration time.... :(
Search Engine on JBoss does not search Seam's forums properly. Aka I could not search for a posting I read a while back regarding setting up Seam with JBoss 4.2.
I tried to go back reading pages after pages on Seam's forum. I gave up after reaching July 14. :(
So much time wasted on this upgrade...
I saw a jboss-4.2.1.GA\server\default\deploy\jboss-web.deployer\jsf-libs under JBoss 4.2.1GA so I copied the missing jars from jboss-4.0.5.GA\server\default\deploy\jbossweb-tomcat55.sar to it.
Let's see what that would break. For now, the app came up OK.
How are you getting Seam to manage your entities? I am trying everything I can think of and none of the entities are showing up within any Seam context. It's strange because I was able to modify a seam-gened app to work, but my own app, it's like the EJBs aren't there at all.
I am not there yet. I still have to upgrade all the libs in my projects. Will let you know when I find out.
It's quite agonizing. Seam is an incredible system, but realistically it can take a week or more just to configure an application to say "hello world", unless seam-gen managed to get it right. With JBoss 4.2.1, seam-gen needs a lot of help to work.
I did not encounter any problem with Seam's app running in JBoss 4.2.1GA. I do have problem using external (EJB3) client connecting to JBoss AS 4.2.1 server however. Otherwise, my webpages are served correctly.
I've just upgraded JBoss to 4.2.1. How do I get configure Seam 1.2.1GA to work with JBoss 4.2.1? I remember reading some postings about not needing to run jems installer.
Can someone help?
AFAIK the JEMS installer is gone as of 4.2. The reason is that 4.2 requires Java 1.5 so there's no longer a need to have an installer to accomodate Java 1.4. I'm glad they did this; Java 1.4 is long obsolete at this point.
Anyway, Seam 1.2.1 + JBoss 4.2.1 is tricky. Seam-gen 1.2.1 doesn't produce an app that is anywhere near to usable. Here's a detailed guide to getting it to work:
It does work.
Some of the main problems are that JBoss 4.2 no longer wants the Apache Myfaces JSF implementation, and that affects a bunch of things.
I have Seam 1.2.1 working with no problems on AS 4.2.1.
First I upgraded to JSF 1.2 on JBoss 4.0.4 which is what I was using. I did some preliminary tests and let the users have a go at it.
After a few days of stability I then moved to AS 4.2. This is running in production with Richfaces and Tomahawk component libraries.
Now for development I am using Seam 2.0 from CVS. I have integrated Trinidad. This now makes Richfaces, Trinidad, and Tomahawk all working together on AS 4.2.1.
The upgrade to Seam 2.0 was pretty painless once I had all the other pieces in place.
This was all done to move to Seam 2.0 and was done gradually over a few weeks.