5 Replies Latest reply on Aug 15, 2007 3:35 PM by alexg79

Seam & binary content downloads

alexg79

There may be an obvious solution to this that I've completely missed, but here goes:
      What's the best way to allow the user to download arbitrary generated binary content (forum file attachments)? I was thinking of a servlet based solution, but getting hold of an entity manager instance in a pre-JEE5 container is kinda cumbersome. Perhaps there is a simpler solution, maybe involving Seam (and its resource servlet)?

• 1. Re: Seam & binary content downloads
          pmuir

Take a look at the wiki example, Christian does file downloads there. Longer term I'm working on a s:download component/framework, but have got delayed with the impl.

• 2. Re: Seam & binary content downloads
            alexg79

Okay, it seems to use a servlet that looks up an application scoped component to get hold of an EntityManager instance. This would seem like a better solution than a JNDI lookup that I was doing in my servlet.
            The s:download or whatever would still be greatly appreaciated.
            The Wiki example seems fairly outdated (look at web.xml). Should I create a JIRA issue on that, or is Christian planning to fix it by 2.0.0GA?

• 3. Re: Seam & binary content downloads
              christian.bauer

I'm working 15 hours a day on updating it (and implementing new stuff), patience.

• 4. Re: Seam & binary content downloads
                christian.bauer

And I'm not touching shit like web.xml until I have to, ie. if something stops working because of it. I don't particularly care what's in it.

• 5. Re: Seam & binary content downloads
                  alexg79

And I'm not touching shit like web.xml until I have to, ie. if something stops working because of it. I don't particularly care what's in it.

I appreciate your work, and if I sounded impatient, that was not my intention. I just don't know what's going on inside JBoss, and I was merely concerned for my fellow Seam users. When I was learning Seam, I found it very confusing that different examples had wildly differing configurations, some directly in conflict with what the documentation said.