6 Replies Latest reply on Sep 22, 2007 6:37 AM by grandfatha

Using JSF + POJO + EntityBean design

asookazian

Anybody tried or recommend using JSF (presentation) + POJO (business layer) + EntityBean (persistence) design in a Seam app?

Is this possible to do if you don't need/want the additional services that the EJB container provides (i.e. no session beans or MDB's)?

Any examples I can look at? thx.

• 1. Re: Using JSF + POJO + EntityBean design
          asookazian

and is it possible to use POJO's in the business layer with the conversational context (as you can with SFSB's)?

• 2. Re: Using JSF + POJO + EntityBean design
            stephen.friedrich

Here's my understanding of this issue, somebody correct me if I'm wrong:

* JSF, Seam-annotated POJOs plus JPA- or plain hibernate entities is certainly possible without EJB support. Of course Seam POJOs support conversations.
            * The seam reference manual is sparse to say the least, see section "25.4. Configuring Seam in Java SE, without JBoss Embedded"
            * Remoting won't work because it uses JMS
            * The "jpa" example is a variation of the booking example without EJB and can be deployed on Tomcat without the JBoss embedded ejb container.
            * In general JBoss does not recommend this solution because it is not tested as much as Seam in a full EE container.

• 3. Re: Using JSF + POJO + EntityBean design
              asookazian

"stephen.friedrich" wrote:
              * In general JBoss does not recommend this solution because it is not tested as much as Seam in a full EE container.

well what if you deploy to JBoss AS?

• 4. Re: Using JSF + POJO + EntityBean design
                pmuir

"asookazian" wrote:
                well what if you deploy to JBoss AS?

JBoss AS is an EJB3 container so of course that works well.

You can deploy Seam managed JavaBeans to an EJB3 container. You can then use MDBs, SFSB/SLSB etc. as needed. A number of examples do this.

• 5. Re: Using JSF + POJO + EntityBean design
                  wise_guybg

I guess WebBeans will come into play to clear this up for the EJB.

• 6. Re: Using JSF + POJO + EntityBean design
                    grandfatha

This jsut makes me sick that my company is sooo in love with Tomcat. It would be much easier to get started with Seam projects here if it was not for that Tomcat fiasco. I mean it is 2007 and I have yet to see an application server that takes a multiple amount of time to load compared to Tomcat.

The best scenario for my job here would be to have a possibility to use exploded directy deployment while development and then an ant task or something like that to produce a war file that is deployable to Tomcat without having to install the embedded jboss.