0 Replies Latest reply on Aug 23, 2007 11:11 AM by fredf

execute action and remote method simultaneously?

fredf

Hello.

I use Seam 2.0.0 BETA1 with facelets (Sun JSF 1.2 RI)

I am having problem executing a WebRemote method and an action method from the same commandButton.

On the frontend I have an xhtml page with an editor (FCKeditor) combined with a form bound to a seam datamodel component. The remote method on the seam component shall recieve the content of the editor (because it cannot have a jsf value binding) and the action shall recieve the datamodel.

The seam component looks like this:

public class ArtistPresentationActionBean extends ArtistPresentationActionBase
       implements ArtistPresentationActionLocal,
       ArtistPresentationActionRemote {

public java.lang.String handleUpdateArtistPresentation() throws FactDaoException,
       ContentProviderAccountDaoException {
       // implementation

}

@Override
       protected void handleSetDescription(String description) throws Exception {
       // implementation. Annotated with @WebRemote on the local interface
       }

}

The commandButton on the form looks like this:

<h:commandButton type="submit" onClick="setDescriptionAsync()" value="Save changes" action="#{artistpresentation.updateArtistPresentation}" />

The javascript function setDescriptionAsync looks like this:

function setDescriptionAsynch() {
       oEditor = FCKeditorAPI.GetInstance('MyTextarea');
       editorContent = oEditor.GetHTML();
       Seam.Component.getInstance("artistpresentation").setDescription(editorContent);
      }

The problem is that only the remote method is executed, not the action. And when the remote call is finished executing I get a javascript exception in the browser saying that in remote.js at line 644 there is some problem with

if (req.status == 200)

and from there I am not sure what is wrong. Must be something with the response from the call. There are no exceptions thrown from the seam component after remote execution (not what I can see in the log, except of course in the browser).

If I remove the onClick attribute on the commandButton the action is executed as expected without any failures.

I reed in a book; Jboss Seam Simplicity and Power Beyond Java EE chap. 17.3.2 that it should work to execute both actions and remote methods in the same commandButton.

Anyone experiencing the same thing?

Thanks,
      Fredrik