2 Replies Latest reply on Sep 12, 2007 2:04 PM by pmuir

Does Seam really run on Websphere?

refux

In various places it is stated that Seam runs on websphere.

Specifically here: http://www.michaelyuan.com/blog/2007/02/01/new-features-in-seam-115/

From Seam 1.1.5, we will support Seam on the latest WebSphere application server. It may not sound like a big deal since we already support Seam on WebLogic, Tomcat, and Sun AS. But WebSphere is a beast that requires its own proprietary JDK to run -- it is a big deal that Seam works just fine on WebSphere 6.1

However due to a recent problem we have had due to the way the IBM VM loads annotations (http://www.jboss.com/index.html?module=bb&op=viewtopic&t=118397), it makes me wonder, what does it mean for Seam to support Websphere?

Does this mean some trivial examples (like the JPA one included in the dist) work?
      Does this mean there is a full regression suite that tests all aspects of seam against the application servers Seam supports?
      Does this mean somebody somewhere got a Seam application running on Websphere?
      Does this mean there is a document that explains how to configure Seam for Websphere?

I just want to make sure I know what we are getting ourselves into here. If we are going to be trailblazers, I have no problem with that, but I just want to make sure we know what we're getting ourselves into.

• 1. Re: Does Seam really run on Websphere?

To get the Seam booking example run on WebSphere, you need to do quite a few tweaking. That includes to get around the J9 annotation processing bug (it does not ignore unknown annotations as the spec required), and various work arounds to make JSF RI and facelets run on WAS. None of them is really related to Seam itself ... Please see the websphere build for the JPA example for more details.

To answer your question, no, we do not have a set of regression tests that run against WAS.

We can try our best to help you make a successful WAS deployment. But for WAS internal issues, you have to call on IBM support ...

• 2. Re: Does Seam really run on Websphere?
            pmuir

We are working on getting more information into the reference manual about deploying Seam onto different application servers (e.g. how the example is constructed, how to get a seam-gen'd up and running), tips and tricks like the annotations bug. I'm not sure of the roadmap atm for this (I think Glassfish will be done first, but is easier), but for the sort of content, take a look at the OC4J chapter in the trunk docs.