7 Replies Latest reply on Oct 2, 2007 4:40 AM by nickarls

Stored procedure call causes connection close

nickarls

Yep, Hibernate specific but some of you might have come across this in a seam context (no pun intended):

I execute a stored procedure by getting a connection from the (Hibernate) JPA delegate but when the original method exits, my friendly CachedConnectionManager closes the connection. Which isn't very nice in a long running conversation with SMPC.

Is there a better way to execute stored procedures or is there a way to leave the connection open?

12:00:34,082 INFO [CachedConnectionManager] Closing a connection for you. Please close them yourself: org.jboss.resource.adapter.jdbc.WrappedConnection@170e652
      java.lang.Throwable: STACKTRACE
       at org.jboss.resource.connectionmanager.CachedConnectionManager.registerConnection(CachedConnectionManager.java:290)
       at org.jboss.resource.connectionmanager.BaseConnectionManager2.allocateConnection(BaseConnectionManager2.java:417)
       at org.jboss.resource.connectionmanager.BaseConnectionManager2$ConnectionManagerProxy.allocateConnection(BaseConnectionManager2.java:842)
       at org.jboss.resource.adapter.jdbc.WrapperDataSource.getConnection(WrapperDataSource.java:88)
       at org.hibernate.ejb.connection.InjectedDataSourceConnectionProvider.getConnection(InjectedDataSourceConnectionProvider.java:47)
       at org.hibernate.jdbc.ConnectionManager.openConnection(ConnectionManager.java:423)
       at org.hibernate.jdbc.ConnectionManager.getConnection(ConnectionManager.java:144)
       at org.hibernate.jdbc.BorrowedConnectionProxy.invoke(BorrowedConnectionProxy.java:50)
       at $Proxy136.prepareCall(Unknown Source)
       at concept.misc.Repository.getNextOrderNumber(Repository.java:370)

• 1. Re: Stored procedure call causes connection close
          nickarls

Tried it on the hibernate forum but apparently my question is so trivial that it isn't even worth answering over there ;-)

So, I return: How do you call stored functions in the db from an entitymanager with hibernate? If I get the delegate and from the session a connection and use normal call syntax, the connection is closed and that causes grief for my SMPC.

If I embed the function call in a select statement then I can't do DML in the function :-/

• 2. Re: Stored procedure call causes connection close

Hi nickarls

Read chapter "11.3.2. Extended session and automatic versioning" of Seam Reference Manual Version 1.2.1 GA.

You can chance the flushMode of a session by calling:

Session s = (SessionImpl) entityManager.getDelegate();
            s.setFlushMode(FlushMode.NEVER);

This prevents seam from closing the session automatically after the request finished

But you have to flush an close the session manually!

s.flush();
            s.close();

Greetings Ralph

• 3. Re: Stored procedure call causes connection close

Ups! The mentioned chapter is in Hibernate reference documentation version 3.2.0 GA which is used in seam 1.2.1.

There is even a better way if you are working with annotations. See chapter 22.4. Annotations for context demarcation (Seam ref doc 1.2.1 - really ;-))

Just annotate the methode you are calling the SP with this annotation.

@Begin(flushMode=FlushModeType.MANUAL)

• 4. Re: Stored procedure call causes connection close
                nickarls

I'm already in a manual-flush-mode conversation.
                And I've tried all of

getConversation().changeFlushMode(FlushModeType.MANUAL);
                and
                sessio.setFlushMode(FlushMode.MANUAL);
                and
                sessio.setFlushMode(FlushMode.NEVER);
                but it still insists on closing:
                [CachedConnectionManager] Closing a connection for you. Please close them yourself: org.jboss.resource.adapter.jdbc.WrappedConnection@18a9358

• 5. Re: Stored procedure call causes connection close
                  nickarls

I have also played around with the hibernate properties in persistence.xml but no go.

I'd hate to tell the customers "Well, you can run *one* stored function and then you have to start the app again" ;-)

• 6. Re: Stored procedure call causes connection close
                    nickarls

I tried setting hibernate.connection.release_mode to "after_statement", that didn't do anything. It reacted to "after_transaction" by not closing the connection immediately, unfortunately seam itself closed it (at the end of the current long running conversation?) so that was a no-go either :-/

• 7. Re: Stored procedure call causes connection close
                      nickarls

In other words: should I just give up and start fresh from the JNDI or is there a way of getting a connection from an entitymangager, run a stored procedure and just happily live on?