8 Replies Latest reply on Jan 8, 2008 6:26 AM by pmuir

Injecting Remote EJBs

starf666

Hello Seam community,

I am just starting a new project and want to use the seam framework. The system architecture demands that parts of the application are on a different machine than the main web-system. How can I inject (with @EJB annotation) remote EJBs into Beans located on the main machine. I guess I have to give the address of the remote machine somewhere, maybe jndi.properties? Or am I heading in the completely wrong direction. I looked through a lot of EJB tutorials, docs and books but they only describe injection in simple java clients or plain local injection.

Thanks in advance,
      Martin

• 1. Re: Injecting Remote EJBs
          cavani

I am using this:

Properties env = new Properties();
          env.put(Context.INITIAL_CONTEXT_FACTORY, "org.jnp.interfaces.NamingContextFactory");
          env.put(Context.URL_PKG_PREFIXES, "org.jboss.naming:org.jnp.interfaces");
          env.put(Context.PROVIDER_URL, "jnp://192.168.1.1:1099");

Context ctx = new InitialContext(env);

return (ManagementService) ctx.lookup("tlon/ManagementServiceBean/remote");

where there is two ears on different AS instance (and machines). "tlon" is the name of second EAR. "ManagementService" interface is deployed in both. Both application are Seam basead.

I think (but don't tryed) tou could use factory or unwrap annotation to encapsulate and use in annotation for injection.

Thanks,

• 2. Re: Injecting Remote EJBs
            cavani

Something like this:

@Name("managedRemoteServer")
            @Scope(ScopeType.STATELESS)
            public class ManagedRemoteServer
            {

@Unwrap
             public ManagementService getRemoteServer()
             {
             try
             {
             Properties env = new Properties();
             env.put(Context.INITIAL_CONTEXT_FACTORY, "org.jnp.interfaces.NamingContextFactory");
             env.put(Context.URL_PKG_PREFIXES, "org.jboss.naming:org.jnp.interfaces");
             env.put(Context.PROVIDER_URL, "jnp://192.168.1.1:1099");

Context ctx = new InitialContext(env);

return (ManagementService) ctx.lookup("tlon/ManagementServiceBean/remote");
             }
             catch (Exception e)
             {
             e.printStackTrace();
             }

return null;
             }

}

And:

@In
             private ManagementService remoteServer;

Obs.: I didn't test this...

• 3. Re: Injecting Remote EJBs
              cavani

[sorry... I will stop....]

I think that this is your answer:

In addition, EJB 3.0 dependency injection only works in the local JNDI. Hence you cannot inject objects from remote servers.

http://trailblazer.demo.jboss.com/EJB3Trail/serviceobjects/injection/index.html

Thanks,

• 4. Re: Injecting Remote EJBs
                andyd

You may be able to acheive what you want to using the web services support, but it isn't something I have experience using.

• 5. Re: Injecting Remote EJBs
                  starf666

Thanks for the answers so far.

[sorry... I will stop....]

I think that this is your answer:

Quote:

In addition, EJB 3.0 dependency injection only works in the local JNDI. Hence you cannot inject objects from remote servers.

http://trailblazer.demo.jboss.com/EJB3Trail/serviceobjects/injection/index.html

I guess that's the answer albeit I hoped it wouldn't. Would clustering get me anywhere? I don't know much about it. I am not sure I could use different resources on different cluster nodes. A part of the whole application must run on a Windows server while the web part should be able to run on linux. Else I will have to do the lookup manually, what would mess up my code a bit.

P.S.: Is injection of remote EJBs not possible in JBoss (4.2) or is it not possible in EJB3 in general? Wouldn't it be a cool feature?

• 6. Re: Injecting Remote EJBs
                    pmuir

Ask about remote EJB injection on the EJB3 forum ;)

Cavani's second answer is the right way to expose a remote ejb to Seam.

• 7. Re: Injecting Remote EJBs
                      starf666

So this has nothing to do with seam? I didn't expect this to be so unlikely in the development of enterprise (web) systems.

• 8. Re: Injecting Remote EJBs
                        pmuir

Injection of EJB3s using @EJB is not Seam, no. I suspect you will get a better informed response on the EJB3 forum.