4 Replies Latest reply on Feb 17, 2008 2:13 PM by pmuir

Annotation Interception Question

kasim

So with the Seam's version of Interceptors it appears to make the code look MUCH nicer.

I have 2 questions. I gather i can only do it at the class level, and not the method level??

Secondly. Inside the annotation itself, can i define it as a Seam component? It doesnt appear i can because I was trying to inject a few items and they didn't get injected. I tried using Contexts.lookup to look them up and while it can look up the current object i want it doesnt appear to lookup other items.

Any other ide i can use?

• 1. Re: Annotation Interception Question
          monkeyden

You mean @AroundInvoke? The example uses it on a method:

http://docs.jboss.com/seam/2.0.1.GA/reference/en/html_single/#d0e4342

• 2. Re: Annotation Interception Question
            monkeyden

Ah, I see what you mean. I was looking at the EJB3 example.

@Target(TYPE)
            @Retention(RUNTIME)
            @Interceptors(LoggedInInterceptor.class)
            public @interface LoggedIn {}

• 3. Re: Annotation Interception Question
              kasim

"monkeyden" wrote:
              Ah, I see what you mean. I was looking at the EJB3 example.

@Target(TYPE)
              @Retention(RUNTIME)
              @Interceptors(LoggedInInterceptor.class)
              public @interface LoggedIn {}

Yeah ... when you do that if you look at the doco its only at the class level.

That parts not TOOO big of a deal since i just force the user to have two annotations. One at hte class level that the implementation does all the work. Then a marker on the method so i just check.

The lack of being able to inject other Seam components though does kind of suck.

There are ways around it since all i am essentially doing is packing it into a message and sending to a queue, but still sucks. Especially if i wanted to do somemthing more complicated. hmmm ...

• 4. Re: Annotation Interception Question
                pmuir

1) Its classlevel only - we have an ancient open issue for this, but with Web Beans on the way, I don't think this will see light before then. Your approach is the best workaround I know of.

2) You should be able inject other components using Component.getInstance/Contexts lookup. What is the lifecycle of this request? JSF? Post your code.