Here is what I do. I download the source and build it. Building it will pull down the source jars for jboss web. I then unjar the jboss web source jar(s) and then patch and compile only the java source file(s) that I changed (I include in my javac classpath whatever jars I need from server/default//lib to do this). Then I replace the old class(es) in the existing jar with the newly compiled classes. This works very well for me.
Hope this helps.
Thanks for the hint. I just tried that and somehow it doesn't work.
I grabbed the source patch from https://jira.jboss.org/jira/browse/JBPAPP-363 which "modifies" 8 java files. I used your approach to compile and get 8 class file. I replaced those 8 class file in the jbossweb.jar, but the resulting jbossweb.jar doesn't seem to change the cookie name.
If I download the precompiled binary jbossweb.jar from https://jira.jboss.org/jira/browse/JBPAPP-431 and I can change the cookie name.
You can verify the steps and see if it works for you.