4 Replies Latest reply on May 26, 2009 3:09 PM by peterj

jboss web 2.1.2ga APR libraries question and its connection

mattzyzy

I have installed jboss web 2.1.2GA on Win32 Server 08 Enterprise using the extracted zip file (no service on boot-up , all command line startup,bat and shutdown.bat). I notice the need to install APR native for x86 to make it faster , but my question is , was the APR native libraries already installed in the jbossweb zip file I downloaded ? because during the startup (from startup.bat) process , the console log outputted :

"May 15, 2009 10:45:10 AM org.apache.coyote.http11.Http11AprProtocol start INFO: Starting Coyote HTTP/1.1 on http-8080 May 15, 2008 10:45:11 AM org.apache.coyote.ajp.AjpAprProtocol start INFO: Starting Coyote AJP/1.3 on ajp-8009 May 15, 2008 10:45:11 AM org.apache.catalina.startup.Catalina start INFO: Server startup in 2688 ms "

I havent yet install (extract the /bin and /lib folders into CATALINA_HOME) the APR native libs but the console log above says it is available.
      Then I brave to myself to extract the APR x86 native lib for win32 , and to my amazement the console log remains the same . what actually happen?

I heard somewhere that the native APR libs only improve SSL (OpenSSL) performance , not the ordinary http 8080 , is this true ?

• 1. Re: jboss web 2.1.2ga APR libraries question and its connect
          peterj

Yes, APR is alreayd packaged with JBoss WEb 2.1.2 - see the libapr*.dll files in the bin directory.

Based on the directory structure of the files provided by JBoss Native, JBoss Native is meant to add APR capability to JBoss AS, not to JBoss Web. The run scripts on JBoss AS look for the APR file in the location provided by JBoss Native; the run scripts provided by JBoss Web do not look in those locations.

Regarding performance, there used to be a page that showed performance testing results, but I cannot find that. If I recall correctly, the performance increases were for both HTTP and SSL.

• 2. Re: jboss web 2.1.2ga APR libraries question and its connect
            mattzyzy

Thank you for the very helpful reply.

Currently , I start the jbossweb using the startup.bat from the CMD manually as I used the extracted no-installer zip file . Can I make it automatically start during windows startup without having to use the service method ?

It is because I failed to start the jbossweb as a service when using the .msi /.exe installer in win32 server 08 enterprise on a x86 Xeon processor. Is the service failure causing from the native APR bundled ?

• 3. Re: jboss web 2.1.2ga APR libraries question and its connect
              jfclere

Please open a JIRA with the description of the problem. Add the error messages from the event logger.

• 4. Re: jboss web 2.1.2ga APR libraries question and its connect
                peterj

If you installed JBoss Native over JBoss Web, you will have to re-install JBoss Web before you can run it successfully as a service because the service.bat file in JBoss Native overrides the service.bat file in JBoss Web, and the service.bat file in JBoss Native is for use with JBoss AS, noit JBoss Web.