4 Replies Latest reply on Jul 23, 2007 4:14 PM by henrik.lindberg

Can I change timeout on startup? Problem with timeout when d

henrik.lindberg

Hi, I am using the microcontainer with JBoss seam when debugging.
      My project has grown and startup time has increased. There seems to be a limit of 120 seconds to the startup after which the startup fails if not completed.

Is it possible to change this limit?
      I am just a few seconds away from having everything deployed. Right now I have lost the ability to debug my project, and I am greatful for any hints or other tricks that I can use to be able to debug again...

The startup on JBoss AS is around 60 seconds.

Regards
      - henrik

• 1. Re: Can I change timeout on startup? Problem with timeout wh
          alesj

What limit?
          I'm not aware of any time limit in Microcontainer deployment.
          Is this a Seam feature?

Or from what do you reckon there is a limit?

• 2. Re: Can I change timeout on startup? Problem with timeout wh
            henrik.lindberg

I was mistaken - what happens is that I recieved a warning notice "service did not start within 120sec" at the same time as the microcontainer died. I don't know where this message comes from - it is a gui popup, so probably something in JBoss IDE.

I figured out that microcontainer must have run out of memory. It just happened to occur at the exact same time as the timeout message appeared. No decent error message though (started from within JBoss IDE) - it just says "deployment failed" or something like that - no details.

After having increased the memory size I was able to debug.

• 3. Re: Can I change timeout on startup? Problem with timeout wh
              alesj

Microcontainer itself doesn't use a lot of memory, but the services which run inside might. Check which service might be the main memory consumer.

• 4. Re: Can I change timeout on startup? Problem with timeout wh
                henrik.lindberg

I finally got this problem solved, and want to share the solution.

After upgrade to JBoss 4.2.1.GA I noticied that there was a warning message that a port that was wanted was used by someone else. The app server still started.

A collegue pointed out, that when Skype or IP phone software (and some chat software) is started before jBoss, they tend to occupy ports that are wanted by JBoss by default.

So, starting debugging before starting Skype (and in my case Trillian) reduced the startup time from over 10 minutes to sub minute!!!

Seems a little bit to strange to be true. What do you think? Could this have been what was causing my problems?