1 Reply Latest reply on Oct 23, 2005 4:10 AM by aron.gombas

server-side configurability

dhartford

I'm looking at how much it takes to get this up and running, and basically have a comment to get more feedback for best-practice to handle this problem:

Configuring the available Kosmos portlets kinda sucks.

Case in point, the SVN, the CruiseControl, etc all require file-configuration in XML format. Also, if you have external (I'll call it Collabarative Development Environment (CDE) from Sourceforge/gforge) project tool that creates a 'development project' there is no easy way to automate this process.

So, the comment to discuss is would a move to JMX configuration make sense?

-D

• 1. Re: server-side configurability
          aron.gombas

Case in point, the SVN, the CruiseControl, etc all require file-configuration in XML format. Also, if you have external (I'll call it Collabarative Development Environment (CDE) from Sourceforge/gforge) project tool that creates a 'development project' there is no easy way to automate this process.

I'm not sure if I understand the problem, but configuring via XML is actually... err, part of the JSR-168 spec!
          Do you need to do it on-the-fly? As a workaround, put your new config to the XML and redeploy the portlet WAR (e.g. simply hot-deply by "touching" the web.xml).

So, the comment to discuss is would a move to JMX configuration make sense?

The idea is using JMX for this seems interesting, but IMHO it's not something to handle by individual portlets, rather by the portlet container. What do you think?